Fresh Strawberry "Boy Scout" Cobbler!! ~Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I won't bore you with Grill & smoked chicken and those fixin's ! Todays just that day. BUT..... I am sitting here having a cup of Community "Columbian Dark Roast" coffee and enjoying some Fresh strawberry "Boy Scout" Cobbler. I cut it down, I knew I would waste alot if I did a CI Dutch oven. So I tweaked it. Think of it, sweet fresh berries, but not too sweet. A buttery cake (tastes like a waffle), with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream melting down on top of it.

Strawberry Cobbler
0531_174035252.jpg
Boy Scout style
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: approx. 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:
Filling
2 cupsfresh strawberries, washed and chopped
1/2 cupWhite Sugar
1 tspfreshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 stickunsalted butter
Crust
1 cupflour
1 teaspoonbaking powder
2/3 cupWhite Sugar
1 cupevaporated milk
1 tspvanilla extract
1 tspstrawberry extract
1 tspbutter extract
preheat oven to 350 degrees
Directions:
In a 6 Cup baking dish, add butter and put in the oven and melt all the way. Remove from oven and set aside.

In a medium bowl, add strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir until well combined (it will create a juice). Set aside.

In a large bowl, add flour and sugar, whisk until well combined. Slowly add evaporated milk and extracts, whisk until well incorporated.

Pour crust on top of melted butter then add strawberries and juice on top of crust (Do not Stir).

Bake for approx 1 hour, until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes and serve.

The above is copied from the Foamheart Cookbook, sweet huh!

Its delicious. Its easier than a dump cake, and you gonna impress your friends and family, I guarantee Cha !!

Please remember to to take a moment today and think about all those service members who picked up the check for today. God bless 'em.

Dang looks great and just in time. Edit: looks like we are at a stand off with who is going to the store for strawberry extract and evaporated milk
EAFCC843-0F4B-4B3B-976E-BEE0100B6F95.jpeg

Dang looks great and just in time. Edit: looks like we are at a stand off with who is going to the store for strawberry extract and evaporated milk View attachment 498313

We started getting them early this year, like before Christmas and I am guessing this was my last flat. I have canned jelly all season and froze berries and today I did processed jam. I think I am ready for them to peter out for awhile. LOL ! BUT peaches just started and the first pick of them is delightful.

Well, Kevin. There are people who don't eat meat. Someone wouldn't like it but they're nuts!

Looks delicious, Kevin!
You must have been in a fancier Scout Troop than me. We dumped canned pie filling in a dutch oven, covered it with canned biscuits and sprinkled
sugar on top, put it in the coals with coals on top and called it Cobbler.
:-)

Reactions: 912smoker
Is good.
I am not a big sweet eater, but made many a Scout dessert. Always needed to double serving size to feed those ravenous boys.

Kevin, that looks delicious. :emoji_thumbsup: No cast iron needed!

You could but my recipe is tweaked down to a small cobbler, and I made it in the oven. Its basically and old Boy Scout recipe, normally cooked by the leaders on Saturday nites camp fire. This one above would not feed a patrol of young men, let alone a troop. LOL But would work for a family that has no more than two teenagers, maybe three. if one is a girl... LOL

Looks delicious, Kevin!
You must have been in a fancier Scout Troop than me. We dumped canned pie filling in a dutch oven, covered it with canned biscuits and sprinkled
sugar on top, put it in the coals with coals on top and called it Cobbler.
:-)

That is exactly what this is, generally ours was made with Bisquick and canned peaches. The Dutch oven set on some coals with a few on top. I used to be able to tell you exactly how many coals on top to achieve different cooking temperatures, LOL This is easy like that with fresh berries and great butter waffle "biscuit". Its not hard to cook for young men on the second nite of camping.

Is good.
I am not a big sweet eater, but made many a Scout dessert. Always needed to double serving size to feed those ravenous boys.

I always laugh thinking of how something so simple as a hot sweet cobbler could pull a totally miserable rainy weekend camping back on track. How does that mailman thingie go? Neither rain nor hail nor sleep..... LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks Great, Foamy!!
And You still make me Jealous with the availability of Strawberries You have down there!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky