First attempt at a burrito.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well I went and did it this past labor day weekend, and I had mixed results. I started off making a seasoning mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, paprika, and black pepper. A little over a tablespoon of each. Then I made some fried rice with diced tomato, and added the leftover seasoning to the rice. I used shrimp for the protein.

Here's the shrimp on the skewers all seasoned up. I had a few extra so I wrapped them in partially cooked bacon.
DSC01092.JPG

Out onto the kettle
DSC01095.JPG

Start of the burrito making process:

DSC01097.JPG

...and the foldover:

DSC01098.JPG

These tasted fine, but they needed something else - maybe a sauce(slap myself in the head).

What I didn't eat that night I mixed up with some Tony C's the next day and fried it up. Now that tasted really good.

Thanks for taking a peek at my first attempt. I will try it again when the wife has forgotten about this attempt.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC01092.JPG
    DSC01092.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01098.JPG
    DSC01098.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 6
Nothin wrong with that at all . Personally , I like some cold crunch with the warm . Thin slice of radish and carrots or some un dressed slaw .
I'm lookin at the shrimp and rice , making my mouth water .
Nice job .

Reactions: forktender
I like a smear of simmered refried black beans, thinned with some bacon fat on the tortilla before the other ingredients, and a little cotija cheese grated over that. The mango or peach salsa sounds good,too.
Your fillings look delicious !

Those look mighty fine from here Chris. I'll take 4, with a sack of nachos!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think this may be one that looks better then it tastes. It was missing something that would pull it all together. Individually everything tasted great - together not so much.

Maybe a splash of salsa or a picante
Richie

Thanks Richie, I've had Salsa, but never Picante. Is it similar to salsa minus the chunks?

Chris

Nothin wrong with that at all . Personally , I like some cold crunch with the warm . Thin slice of radish and carrots or some un dressed slaw .
I'm lookin at the shrimp and rice , making my mouth water .
Nice job .

That's something my wife said. There wasn't anything in the burrito to break up the texture. Would radish and carrots go with rice and shrimp. Never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the like and compliment Chop. Oh yeah I forgot to mention. Your 100% correct(from my previous post) slightly cooking the taco shell made a big difference.

Yep, little picante or similar and ya got a winner...

Thanks Winter, I'll give it a go. I've never tried picante before. So that will be an experiment.

Chris

I think a nice mango salsa would be great.

Thanks Bradger, I've never tried a mango in my life. I've seen them just never tried one. Is it similar to anything else?

I like a smear of simmered refried black beans, thinned with some bacon fat on the tortilla before the other ingredients, and a little cotija cheese grated over that. The mango or peach salsa sounds good,too.
Your fillings look delicious !

That sounds good to me also Siege. However I wanted to stay away from beans on this one. My wife had just made a big batch of my grandmothers baked beans, and I was kinda beaned out. I will try the peach salsa. That's a flavor profile I really enjoy and would give me that crunch factor.

Chris.

Would radish and carrots go with rice and shrimp.
With fish or sea food tacos , I like it . My son does fish tacos , just using frozen fish filets . He mixes up sour cream , mayo and a little hot sauce . Then some undressed slaw . ( or shredded carrots and cabbage ) We do rice on the side .
I use Chiles rice recipe . It's fantastic .

I like thin sliced radish on mine also .

With fish or sea food tacos , I like it . My son does fish tacos , just using frozen fish filets . He mixes up sour cream , mayo and a little hot sauce . Then some undressed slaw . ( or shredded carrots and cabbage ) We do rice on the side .
I use Chiles rice recipe . It's fantastic .

I like thin sliced radish on mine also .

Thanks Chop will give it a go next time. I also just thought of using apple slivers to add some crunch. Kinda shoestring the apple.

Thank you Richie for the link. I guess picante sauce is out. The wife doesn't like heat. I'll probably go with a mild salsa and use the blender to get rid of the chunks.

Chris

@jcam222 thanks for the like appreciate it.

Chris

If that's what a "Burrito" looks like, I'll take 3 of them, please!!
I'm not proud, I can heat up some BBQ sauce mixed with some "Franks" for "Dunking".
Nice Job, Chris!!
Like.

Bear

If that's what a "Burrito" looks like, I'll take 3 of them, please!!
I'm not proud, I can heat up some BBQ sauce mixed with some "Franks" for "Dunking".
Nice Job, Chris!!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Bear, I'm not sure it qualifies as a real burrito, but it's my take on one. Hopefully I'll get better at this Mexican food cooking.

Chris

Looks good Chris.

Like!

I like mild salsa and shredded cheese on mine....:emoji_wink:

John

A mild salsa is what I'll be using next. I thought about cheese and had some in the fridge, but I was afraid it would cover-up the taste of the shrimp. Thanks for the like and comments appreciated them.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky