Fathers Day Whole Hog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks amazing. I love whole hog but haven’t had the guts to do it. Do you mind sharing what spices you used? Straight salt and some apple vinegar? If I can get my hands on a piglet I’d love to try that out.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That looks amazing. I love whole hog but haven’t had the guts to do it. Do you mind sharing what spices you used? Straight salt and some apple vinegar? If I can get my hands on a piglet I’d love to try that out.
Not going to give up the ghost, but think apple juice, cider vinegar and spices. Pretty simple really.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Nice cook, Eric.
Going whole hog (pun intended) is fun for the visual, but after doing many, I prefer cutting out the ribs and loin from the front and hams.

Great cook, Eric! A lot of work, but the end results are worth the effort especially for a special occasion such as a wedding. Been awhile since I've done one, but this brings back lots of memories. Really nice...

SE, Wow, Nice smoke and looks like some tender awesome pork!!!!!
Thanks CM. Was very delicious.

Nice job Eric, man that looks phenomenal! I definitely want to try this someday.
Thank you Justin. Whole hog is a definite must do for anyone who likes to smoke and eat pulled pork.

Haven't done a whole hog since high school but I still remember all of the vinegary great tastes! Great job Eric!

Keith
Thanks Kieth. Nothing really like whole hog. It really is it’s own thing and so good.

Great cook, Eric! A lot of work, but the end results are worth the effort especially for a special occasion such as a wedding. Been awhile since I've done one, but this brings back lots of memories. Really nice...
Thank you Charles. Was a fantastic cook and very delicious.

Holy hog!
That looked sooo tender & juicy!
Al
Thanks Al. It was very juicy and flavorful. That fat rendered under the skin and moving through the meat is so unique and makes special PP.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
It's just down right impressive by looking at the pics. Wow. There's so much going on. Very cool.

Nice cook, Eric.
Going whole hog (pun intended) is fun for the visual, but after doing many, I prefer cutting out the ribs and loin from the front and hams.
Thanks John. I wish I could figure out a good way to pull the bacon/side and loins early, but all mixed from nose to tail it’s fantastic eating.

It's just down right impressive by looking at the pics. Wow. There's so much going on. Very cool.
Thanks Tex. There are lots of components to whole hog and it is the original “all nighter” however the way the fat renders under the skin and basted the meat gives a unique flavor and is unlike other pulled pork. The key when the “picking” starts is to mix the meat from nose to tail, that’s what really makes it special.

There are lots of components to whole hog and it is the original “all nighter” however the way the fat renders under the skin and basted the meat gives a unique flavor and is unlike other pulled pork. The key when the “picking” starts is to mix the meat from nose to tail, that’s what really makes it special.
I am floored. What an amazing feat! Now I'm super curious to taste something like this.

I wonder there's a way to get a similar taste without having to smoke a whole hog. Like, to smoke a skin-on pork shoulder segment and also a skin-on pork leg, and then to mix the results or something... I don't think I'm able to go whole hog myself, but it'd be cool to have a sense of what you're talking about...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky