Couple pizzas / Different method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Always trying to perfect homemade pizza , just like a lot of you guys . Been thinking about getting a pizza oven , or the kit for my kettle . Working on a couple ideas right now . Not opposed to spending the money , just need it to make sense .
Anyway . Had my first wood fired Neapolitan style pizza last week . I'm hooked . Always liked thin crust pizza ( still do ) but this was fantastic .
So I wanted to try a different cooking method . Not traditional , but adapted to a home oven .
I set the oven up for 2 stages . One rack as low as I could get it , and another with a rack up high . About 3 " from the broiler . The bottom was about 4 " over the baking element . Electric oven . Pizza stone high and low . 2 pizza peels at the ready . 2 cutting boards / landing areas .
Had a bag of store bought dough , and a batch of 00 homemade . Both around 440 gr. I went with 240 grams per pizza . So that gave me 3 pizzas . 2 at 240 grams and one was around 330 .
One had store bought dough , one had homemade , and the last one was mix of the 2 .
Ran the oven at 450 . Stones in place for the heat up . 1 hour before putting pizza in .
First was the store bought dough . Home made Italian herb and cheese sausage . Used tomato sauce right out of the can . No spice added . This was the first time putting the sausage on raw . I knew that would be enough to flavor the sauce .
20210628_172931.jpg
Into the oven on the bottom rack to pre-bake . Once I got some spring on the edge , and this one actually started to brown up ,
I turned the broiler to high . Leave the oven door open a bit so the element stays on .
Pull the pizza and add the cheese . I always have blocks of Motz . in the fridge . Fresh grated is key . Then under the broiler . Watching and turning . Came out pretty damn good .
20210628_174438.jpg 20210628_182520.jpg
This dough had been in the fridge 5 days after I bought it .
This is about as near to perfect as I've gotten .
20210628_182508.jpg
Next was the mixed dough . Half store bought , half 00 homemade .
Pepperoni and sausage on this one .
It took more time to start to brown on the bottom . Could be because of the recover time for the oven , or the fact that the homemade has no sugar added to the dough .
20210628_175611.jpg
Same drill . Switched to broiler to heat up .
Then add the cheese and under the element .
20210628_180702.jpg 20210628_182623.jpg
Came out good too . The mix of dough was more bread like . You can see that in the slice .
Still good texture and chew . Nice char again .
20210628_182703.jpg
Third pizza was all 00 homemade . Mixed up that day , and set at
room temp for 10 hours . My son built this one . All pepperoni and provel cheese .
The cheese is a St . Louis pizza thing . Good stuff , but it does not like high heat .
Skins over and gets dark fast . I let him do his thing . Did the same but went with a low broiler setting .
This pizza was not much to look at . Had to pull it before the crust would brown .
For taste , texture and chew ,,,, this one was the winner hands down . They were all good , but the dough on this was perfect ,
and the tang of the cheese is so good . Really creamy melt on the cheese .
Wasn't any leftover from this one .
20210628_182708.jpg
I think the 2 stage setup on the oven works pretty good . First one cooks the best .
Then I think it becomes a temp recovery issue . I like the 240 / 260 gr size . I think that also plays into how they cook .
Have everything ready and a place to go with them and a way to move them . Worked out good .
Thanks for looking .

I should have never looked at this and hour and a half before lunch time...looks delicious. Had to grab a Toast Chee cracker pack to hold me over.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I should have never looked at this and hour and a half before lunch time...looks delicious
Thanks bud . I had pizza for breakfast .
You guys get the provel cheese out your way ?

Those are some good looking pizzas, We use 00 flour on ours too. I’m thinking pizza Friday night. I’m smoking a ham tomorrow, so it may be a ham, cheese, & onion pizza!
Al

Dang! That's a heck of an experiment! Great job being prepared and documenting everything! Clearly you put some thought into this!

My only question is, now that you've figured this out, do you still want to fork over money for a pizza oven or a kit for your kettle?

Those are some good looking pizzas, We use 00 flour on ours too. I’m thinking pizza Friday night. I’m smoking a ham tomorrow, so it may be a ham, cheese, & onion pizza!
Al
That ham sounds good . Place here has a fantastic ham pizza .
Get that dough mixed up today . Let it sit in the fridge 'til Friday .

All those Pizzas look Mighty Tasty, Rich !!
I had to change the way I build my Pizza if I use the Ninja!
I have to put the cheese on last, because when I put the Pepperoni on last, the Fan in the Air Fryer blows the Pepperoni off of the Pizza.
Putting the Cheese on top solved that problem, but they aren't as Pretty with the Pepperoni buried under the Cheese!!
Like.

Bear

All those Pizzas look Mighty Tasty, Rich !!
I had to change the way I build my Pizza if I use the Ninja!
I have to put the cheese on last, because when I put the Pepperoni on last, the Fan in the Air Fryer blows the Pepperoni off of the Pizza.
Putting the Cheese on top solved that problem, but they aren't as Pretty with the Pepperoni buried under the Cheese!!
Like.

Bear
You just need to slice the pepperoni thicker to keep the fan from blowing them off

giphy.gif

Damn Rich those pizzas look awesome man! I like the idea of the oven setup. I have been cooking mine on a gas grill with a "dome". Always looking to improve though. Think you will still look at a outdoor oven?

Well that's what you get for posting that German market . LOL . I was blowing up the pics to see what was in the sausage case .
I did the same! Got too fuzzy.

KILLER PIES RICH! I am dreaming one day of the raw sausage pizza at home.

You guys get the provel cheese out your way ?

IMO's Pizza - a midwest pizza chain - uses provel cheese. People either love it or hate it.

TBH - It's not something I look for in the grocery store but I don't recall seeing it anywhere.
I did check online at local grocery stores and only Walmart carried it...but our Walmart grocery stores are all downsizing their selections. So no telling.

Great looking pizzas all around Rich! I really need to find some of this provel cheese, I've heard a lot about it.

do you still want to fork over money for a pizza oven or a kit for your kettle?
Charlie , I'm not sure . I have something in the works . The oven works good like this , but gets slow for more than one pizza .

All those Pizzas look Mighty Tasty,
Thanks John .
I know the 360 makes a great pizza , bet that ninja is the same .

Reactions: kilo charlie
Damn Rich those pizzas look awesome man! I like the idea of the oven setup. I have been cooking mine on a gas grill with a "dome". Always looking to improve though. Think you will still look at a outdoor oven?
Thanks John . One of the best pizzas I ever made came off a cheap Kenmore gas grill . My plan was to use my Genesis , but I got a bad tank . Keeps shutting the flow off on the safety .
Not sure on a dedicated oven . Working on an idea ,

I did the same! Got too fuzzy.
LOL !

KILLER PIES RICH! I am dreaming one day of the raw sausage pizza at home.
Yeah , I like it going on raw . Really flavors the pizza .
Thanks for the comment .

that's some good looking pizza's !
Thanks Jim .
I had pizza for supper last night .
Pizza for breakfast this morning . Cold
Pizza for Lunch about an hour ago .
Son just came home from work ,,, looks like he's gonna finish it off .
That's ok . I have 500 gr. of dough in the garage fridge .

IMO's Pizza - a midwest pizza chain
Yup . Have had a lot of IMO's pizza and meatball subs . Just wasn't sure how far west they went . You're really not that far from me .

Great looking pizzas all around Rich! I really need to find some of this provel cheese, I've heard a lot about it.
Thanks Dan . Here's a picture of the bag .
20200215_174546.jpg

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky