CORN!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Well it's that time of the year when fresh corn is becoming available. A little sweat equity in the form of helping break a corn field and I have some...about 200 ears for myself. Shucked, blanched, and quick chilled in an ice water bath. Put up 96 ears on the cob and cut the rest off the cob. Ended up with 25 packs with a pound in each. All vac sealed and in the freezer. Here's just some of the bounty...
20240622_083259[1].jpg

20240622_083314[1].jpg

20240622_101046[1].jpg

Lot of work, but well worth it, I may get some more...

I agree Charles it's well worth the effort to have fresh corn anytime you want it.
That was our July 4th job every year in my childhood. We had a huge garden and would spend the day shucking and my mother would cut it up and blanch.
Didn't appreciate the benefit then.

Keith

I love sweet corn! Try to freeze some every year to have a treat through the winter months!
Nice haul!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I agree Charles it's well worth the effort to have fresh corn anytime you want it.
That was our July 4th job every year in my childhood. We had a huge garden and would spend the day shucking and my mother would cut it up and blanch.
Didn't appreciate the benefit then.

Keith
Keith, I grew up having to work our garden and hated it. Picking and shelling beans sucked!! Now things have come full circle and as I've gotten older, I appreciate the work and the fruits of our labor. But I am getting old(er) and will continue as long as my body lets me...

Reactions: bill1 and 912smoker
Corn fritters, with butter and maple syrup, are kill'er as well.

What a nice haul Charles, I love the bi colored corn.

I've never put any up, but the farmers around here would let the public gather as much as they wanted out of the first four rows, if they caught anyone touching the 5th row or deeper into the fields they would prosecute them, or scare them off with a few shotgun blasts over their head.

I learned, from first hand experience, that the shotgun blasts were a for real thing.

When we were teenagers, going on hunting, fishing or camping trips, we would stop and grab a dozen ears regardless of how deep into the fields we had to go.

Stupid kid stuff, most likely Coor's Banquet beer was involved!!! :emoji_laughing:

Very nice I don't know if I'd have gotten any put up afraid I'd be seeing how much of it I could eat before getting sick lol I love me some fresh picked bi color sweet corn on the cob
I ate enough while processing it, hard not to it's so good...

Looks great Charles! Well worth the effort! Once it's husked the rest is a breeze... seems the silk sticks more every year.

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks great Charles! Well worth the effort! Once it's husked the rest is a breeze... seems the silk sticks more every year.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. It's a lot of work for one person, but definitely worth it especially this winter. And the silk is a sure sign of fresh corn...

Great looking haul! Some of my best memories of my granparents was sitting on the porch shelling beans.

Jim
I have always loved fresh beans, especially butter beans, but absolutely hated picking and shelling them. Dad would give us kids each a row to pick, well me and my brother a row. Our baby sister never had to work in the garden as I remember it. Then we would sit on the porch and shell them. All I could think about was going fishing...

Haven't made corn pancakes in awhile. You're inspiring me. But afraid my corn won't be near as nice as yours !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky