Detroit style Sourdough pizza .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
chopsaw chopsaw I usually pull the dough from the refer, roll it, drop the rolled pie on the parchment that is on the slide, make it and bake it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Did this last minute a couple weeks ago . I have been messing around with making up a bunch of dough and letting it ride in the fridge , like this .
View attachment 698220
That way I can bake bread in short notice . This one was the last of about 5 batches .
Had been in the fridge 7 days or so . Already had enough bread , so figured I'd make pizza .
Decided on Detroit style , because the hydration of this dough makes it hard to launch off a peel .
More like impossible .
Turned the dough out of the container and let it start to warm up .
Has that fermented smell to it .
View attachment 698221
Put around 3 TBLS of oil in the pan . Put the dough in and start stretching .
Wants to spring back , just have to stay with it . It eventually stays edge to edge .
You can see the oil around the sides . That's what you want .
View attachment 698222
Had to make due with what I had . Sandwich size Pepperoni cut in 1/4's .
First layer right on the dough .
View attachment 698223
I normally grind my own cheese , and it should be Brick . Kept it simple and used store
bought Mozz . Heavy around the edges , so you get that fried cheese effect .
View attachment 698224
Then completely cover and do another layer of pepperoni .
View attachment 698225
Cover again with cheese . I had just enough cup and crisp pepperoni
to do 2 rows .
3 stripes of sauce , 2 rows pepperoni on top .
View attachment 698226
Baked a375 . That crispy edge makes it . I should have put more
cheese around the edge .
View attachment 698227

Let it cool some before cutting so the cheese sets up .
Needs a tangy cheese , or better quality Mozz . It wasn't bad for last minute .
View attachment 698228
Great flavor in the dough . Light and crispy . Nice chew .
It was good the day of , but the next day reheated was great .
View attachment 698229
Great looking ZA!

- Jason

Did this last minute a couple weeks ago . I have been messing around with making up a bunch of dough and letting it ride in the fridge , like this .
View attachment 698220
That way I can bake bread in short notice . This one was the last of about 5 batches .
Had been in the fridge 7 days or so . Already had enough bread , so figured I'd make pizza .
Decided on Detroit style , because the hydration of this dough makes it hard to launch off a peel .
More like impossible .
Turned the dough out of the container and let it start to warm up .
Has that fermented smell to it .
View attachment 698221
Put around 3 TBLS of oil in the pan . Put the dough in and start stretching .
Wants to spring back , just have to stay with it . It eventually stays edge to edge .
You can see the oil around the sides . That's what you want .
View attachment 698222
Had to make due with what I had . Sandwich size Pepperoni cut in 1/4's .
First layer right on the dough .
View attachment 698223
I normally grind my own cheese , and it should be Brick . Kept it simple and used store
bought Mozz . Heavy around the edges , so you get that fried cheese effect .
View attachment 698224
Then completely cover and do another layer of pepperoni .
View attachment 698225
Cover again with cheese . I had just enough cup and crisp pepperoni
to do 2 rows .
3 stripes of sauce , 2 rows pepperoni on top .
View attachment 698226
Baked a375 . That crispy edge makes it . I should have put more
cheese around the edge .
View attachment 698227

Let it cool some before cutting so the cheese sets up .
Needs a tangy cheese , or better quality Mozz . It wasn't bad for last minute .
View attachment 698228
Great flavor in the dough . Light and crispy . Nice chew .
It was good the day of , but the next day reheated was great .
View attachment 698229
Holy cow, that looks killer too me!!!

I used to ferment my dough for up to 5 days, I never tried past that, but I will next time I make up a batch.
Pizza is one of my favorites, I could eat it daily, well I could if I was skinny. :emoji_joy:

Reactions: chopsaw
Holy cow, that looks killer too me!!!
I used to ferment my dough for up to 5 days, I never tried past that, but I will next time I make up a batch.
Thanks . I used to mix up a batch on Sunday , that way it was ready when I wanted to use it during the week . Sometimes you get busy and it goes longer than intended , but it works .
That made me think about the last time I used the Ooni! Pizza looks awesome!
I was trying this sourdough mix for pizza , and it just doesn't work with the pizza oven . To wet . Works for this style because of the oil in the pan . After 3 fails , I'm talking into the trash , my Son walked away from his pizza oven . Just went to Wisconsin , and he bought a bunch of mozzarella .
So we mixed up my regular pizza dough with double zero flour . Cleaned up the Solo stove Pi pizza oven , and had pizza and wings last night . Kinders Buttery Buffalo sauce grilled onto the wings .
20240628_182155.jpg

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Really good there....
Thanks bud .
Started out as a test for sourdough . I mixed 5 batches and put them in the fridge . I did add some yeast to the mix . Let them ride a few days , them baked them off . Didn't need much stretching , and cooked up nice .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky