Pizza hut pan pizza.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Been wanting to have a pizza hut pan style pizza for sometime now. Ours shutdown years ago.
So, I figured that since I used at one. I'd give it as try.
For the dough:
1 1/3 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 package dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for dough)
9 ounces vegetable oil (3 ounces per pan)
Butter flavored Pam

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large (2 quart.) bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed. Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes.

Divide dough into three balls. In three 9-inch cake pans, put 3 ounces of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9-inch circle. Place in cake pans.

Spray the outer edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I used my bread machine to do the mixing and kneading.

IMG_20231001_130109421.jpg

2.5 hours at 95 degrees. In a cake pan with 3 tbs of oil.

IMG_20231001_161035434_HDR.jpg

Out of the proofer. And adding the goods.
Into a preheated 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

IMG_20231001_163416972.jpg

Verdict?
The dough consistency was dead on. Though lacking flavor. Next time add spices to it. Nice and airy with the bottom and edges having a great crunch.

Been wanting to have a pizza hut pan style pizza for sometime now. Ours shutdown years ago.
So, I figured that since I used at one. I'd give it as try.
For the dough:
1 1/3 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 package dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for dough)
9 ounces vegetable oil (3 ounces per pan)
Butter flavored Pam

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large (2 quart.) bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed. Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes.

Divide dough into three balls. In three 9-inch cake pans, put 3 ounces of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9-inch circle. Place in cake pans.

Spray the outer edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I used my bread machine to do the mixing and kneading.

View attachment 678557

2.5 hours at 95 degrees. In a cake pan with 3 tbs of oil.

View attachment 678558
Out of the proofer. And adding the goods.
Into a preheated 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

View attachment 678559

Verdict?
The dough consistency was dead on. Though lacking flavor. Next time add spices to it. Nice and airy with the bottom and edges having a great crunch.
looks really good. I'm lazy and lucky to still have a PH nearby.

We had a dine in pizza hut we ate at just about every Friday when I was a kid. Their pan pizza was my favorite and still is even though you can't get it anymore. There is still a carryout Pizza Hut down the road, but it's not the same. Your pizza looks great and you have inspired me to replicate the Pizza Hut of my past!

If you want to improve dough flavor, find a recipe for a 2 or 3 day cold ferment.
I make pizza dough on Wednesday, put in fridge until Saturday when I make pizza.
Then take it out of fridge 2 hours before baking and put it in a proofer like you have.
I am very happy with the flavor. No sugar or oil in it.

If you want to improve dough flavor, find a recipe for a 2 or 3 day cold ferment.
I make pizza dough on Wednesday, put in fridge until Saturday when I make pizza.
Then take it out of fridge 2 hours before baking and put it in a proofer like you have.
I am very happy with the flavor. No sugar or oil in it.
Thanks. I usually do that with dough. At least 24 hours. I'll ferment with the next attempt. The oil in the pan in key for PH crust.

Reactions: 02ebz06 and chopsaw
I still got a card for a free pan pizza from grade school for a reading reward….can I trade it for one of your? Looks mighty good.

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Looks pretty doggone good to me...
Thanks Charles!

looks really good. I'm lazy and lucky to still have a PH nearby.
Thanks! Lucky you!

We had a dine in pizza hut we ate at just about every Friday when I was a kid. Their pan pizza was my favorite and still is even though you can't get it anymore. There is still a carryout Pizza Hut down the road, but it's not the same. Your pizza looks great and you have inspired me to replicate the Pizza Hut of my past!
The one we had was a dine in as well. Remember those crinkled red plastic glasses? You used to go to their buffet a few times a month. When I worked there as I driver. If we ended up with a bogus delivery order. We got to keep the orders. Just about every weekend I'd come with a pizza or two!

I still got a card for a free pan pizza from grade school for a reading reward….can I trade it for one of your? Looks mighty good.

Jim
Lol! That card might be worth something!

Nicely done Steve, looks phenomenal!
Thanks!

Thanks Charles!

Thanks! Lucky you!

The one we had was a dine in as well. Remember those crinkled red plastic glasses? You used to go to their buffet a few times a month. When I worked there as I driver. If we ended up with a bogus delivery order. We got to keep the orders. Just about every weekend I'd come with a pizza or two!

Lol! That card might be worth something!

Thanks!
I remember remember chugging soda out of those red cups as a kid. Man I miss those days

Reactions: Steve H
I liked when Pizza Hut had buffets.
Great when I was working to have a quick lunch.
Pizza, dessert pizza, salad, and a drink for about 8 bucks.

I liked when Pizza Hut had buffets.
Great when I was working to have a quick lunch.
Pizza, dessert pizza, salad, and a drink for about 8 bucks.
Me and Ann would meet up there once a week or so for the buffet. Miss that. Decent lunch at a good price.

Reactions: 02ebz06
They stopped the buffets before Covid, but since Covid a lot of places have stopped buffets.
Ours was gone long before covid. About 5 years ago while in NC. We found a PH that still had the buffet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky