Camp Chef SmokePro ZG - first impressions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveverdo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
Thanks to everyone for your help. Went out and bought a Camp Chef pellet smoker/grill today. Got a SmokePro ZG from Field&Stream/Dick's Sporting Goods.

Very impressed with the packaging and assembly was a breeze. Most of it was already assembled. Just had to install the legs, handle, chimney and rack supports. Broke it in at 350° and it maintained temp between 335 and 360 for most of the burn in.

I didn't have time to do a long smoke today so I grilled some bacon wrapped steaks. Everything worked fine. I will try to cook something else tomorrow.

Pictures:
Make and Model

Packaging 1

Packaging 2

Assembled

Under the hood

Controller:

Assembly complete:

Heat shield closed

Heat shield open

Last edited:
Ready to cook

Didn't have time for a long smoke so decided to grill some bacon wrapped fillets.

After an hour of low and slow I pumped up the heat to high (got up to 525°) and switch to direct heat

Not the best I ever had but good enough especially with the help of Jim Beam.

Reactions: forktender
Nice looking set-up! Food looks like it turned out quite well. Congratulations.

That's a nice looking rig. Enjoy it.

Chris

Nice but I don't see this model on the Camp Chef website. Is it a Dick's special or discontinued model? I like the idea that you can slide the heat shield as I would want to be able to use it as a grill in addition to a smoker.

Nice but I don't see this model on the Camp Chef website. Is it a Dick's special or discontinued model? I like the idea that you can slide the heat shield as I would want to be able to use it as a grill in addition to a smoker.

Yes, it is a Dick's exclusive. I bought it at Field and Stream which is owned by Dick's. It is a model in between the DLX and SG.

Step up from the DLX with dual sliding upper racks that give it more cooking area, the legs are larger, has dual meat probes, the sliding heat shield for direct grilling, and a matte finish.

The SG has the direct heat feature, is a little larger, and has a bottom shelf for added stability.

F&S had the DLX on closeout for $375 and this one for $500. I don't know if I would have paid the extra $125 for the legs, added cooking space, and extra meat probe alone. All of those together with the direct grill feature taken together made the decision easier.

Many of the new Pit Boss grills have the direct heat feature but you need to slide the shield from the inside under the cooking grates. So it could be challenging if the grill is hot. The Camp Chef has a handle on the outside of the box so you can slide the shield back and forth on the fly.

Cooked some 3-2-1 ribs today. The temp held consistent +/-10 most of the time but it was about 25-30° higher then the setting. That is, I set it for 200° it fluctuated around 225-230°. When I raised it to 250° it fluctuated around 275°. I will send Camp Chef an email and see what they say.

The ribs came out great BTW.

If your therm is consistently wrong and Camp Chef doesn't replace it - then you should be all set knowing that your running 25* higher then reading.

Chris

Price drop alert on this unit. Dick's has them on sale for $400. I went and got the $100 refund today no problem.

Cooked some 3-2-1 ribs today. The temp held consistent +/-10 most of the time but it was about 25-30° higher then the setting. That is, I set it for 200° it fluctuated around 225-230°. When I raised it to 250° it fluctuated around 275°. I will send Camp Chef an email and see what they say.

The ribs came out great BTW.
@dave, did you foil over the louvered drip pan?
Not that doing so would change the heat fluctuation, I was just curious.
Thanks.
Dan

did you foil over the louvered drip pan?
Not that doing so would change the heat fluctuation, I was just curious.
Thanks.
Dan

No, I did not. I left them open so that I could switch to direct heat easily. I might consider it if I know I am not going to sear anything.

Reactions: forktender
I grabbed one from Dick's yesterday, heck I'm starting to think that I might have a problem.
My yard looks like a used smoker lot, my wife is thrilled with me right now. LMAO!!!

I might pick one up. What are the grill surface measurements? Clearance from bottom grill to top? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Nevermind. I guessed what they were from the other thread about this smoker. Thanks!

Last edited:
The grill grates are about 22x 20 and the space between the top and bottom grate is 8 to 10" Without measuring.
I hope that's what you were after, if you want an exact measurement let me know and I'll measure it for you,
It's no problem at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky