Brisket smoking help: 3 pieces - 2 4lb points and a 6 pound flat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lilrhodywtb

Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Hi. I’m trying to estimate time (recognizing temp will ultimately decide things) to smoke my brisket for Sunday dinner. I usually smoke at 225 degrees.

I’ve got 2 points, each about 4 pounds, and a flat of about 6 pounds (and about 2 inches thick).

I’m planning to do burnt ends with the points and slices with the flat.

I was thinking I should put the points on first, then add the flat later. But timing has be stymied.

Can anyone help?

I would allow for a minimum of 8 hrs and smoke at 250-275. This should give you time for a longer rest if they finish early. Always remember that each piece of meat is different done by tenderness, not time.

Keith

Reactions: tallbm and JLeonard
Hi. I’m trying to estimate time (recognizing temp will ultimately decide things) to smoke my brisket for Sunday dinner. I usually smoke at 225 degrees.

I’ve got 2 points, each about 4 pounds, and a flat of about 6 pounds (and about 2 inches thick).

I’m planning to do burnt ends with the points and slices with the flat.

I was thinking I should put the points on first, then add the flat later. But timing has be stymied.

Can anyone help?
Hi there and welcome!

If this was a whole 14 pounds packer I would tell you to estimate about 1hr 7min per pound at a steady smoker temp of 275F then add 4 hours for resting and/or extra buffer time. This means you would start 19-20hours before you planned to slice and serve.

With yours seperated and 2 points in there, they points will finish way faster as they get tender way faster. The flat will take the longest. I would have them all in at the same time BUT if you plan to stagger when you put in the different cuts then the Flat should go in first. It is likely going to need to be wrapped in foil at about 180F (or a little less depending on how thin it is) and have a little liquid added when wrapped.

The points will get tender way faster and could go on after some time after the flats.

These cuts of meat do not care what temp you smoke them at, as long as you are not burning them. 225F is just going to take longer to do the same thing a hotter smoker temp would do so feel free to up that temp :D

Finally, there is nothing wrong with smoking this all the day before (or well before) and reheating in the oven. It will actually taste better the 2nd day or after a long period of time later when reheated. So no need to try and time it perfectly if you can get it done well before and easily reheat in an oven :D

I hope this info helps :D

Thanks for the replies. I usually do whole packers, but couldn’t get one this time do parts it is!

Sadly, I can’t cook them a day ahead. At best, I can start them late tonight, pull them whenever they are done tomorrow, then reheat ahead of dinner on the bbq.

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks for the replies. I usually do whole packers, but couldn’t get one this time do parts it is!

Sadly, I can’t cook them a day ahead. At best, I can start them late tonight, pull them whenever they are done tomorrow, then reheat ahead of dinner on the bbq.
I look forward to seeing how it all comes out :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky