My really bad experience(s) with my new Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RetiredInFl

Original poster
Wow... just have to vent (no pun intended). Sorry for the long message. After 4 months obsessing on which (and whether) to get a pellet grill I decided on a Camp Chef SmokePro SG24. All I have ever had was a small propane grill. Received it on Monday and it's been hell ever since. First 2 issues are minor but the 3rd was a killer.

First Problem: Grill had a missed paint spot because a piece of metal wire was “stuck” to it when manufactured and painted. Took it off because it was sticking out and was sharp and pointy and it was bare metal underneath. Response from CC was to buy some grill paint ($6 at Home Depot) and spray it which I did. They are sending me a HAT for my inconvenience.

Next Problem: Following day got a bottom shelf from them and it had no hardware. They said they would ship them to me but it’s going to take a week from Utah to me here in Florida. Again back to Home Depot for $2 worth of screws. Again, no big deal, just inconvenience.

The absolute worst problem was today, Sunday: Got grill assembled Tuesday. First test was, I think, Wednesday. I lose track of days since I retired. :emoji_wink: Cooked a splatchcocked chicken from Trader Joes. Came out pretty good for my first try. Second test was the next day. Made a burger to see how the high temp cooking worked. Came out ok but I overcooked it a bit. I'll learn.

So now I am going to invite friends for ribs on Sunday as my first rib test. They will be guinea pigs. Friday night bought 5 racks of baby back ribs ($65 on sale) and prepped them for my first 3-2-1 cook. Go out at noon today, turn on grill. TOTALLY DEAD. NO POWER, NO LIGHTS. NADA, NOTHING. Being an electronics "pro" I checked the outlet which is fine because I installed it plus I plugged in a fan and it worked :emoji_laughing:. Checked the fuse, it’s fine. Check power at the switch on the component side of the controller board, it’s getting power to the board through the switch and is fine. Tried reset by holding button for 10 seconds. No go. Everything is fine except IT IS DEAD. NO LIGHTS, NO AUGER, NO FAN MOTOR NO NOTHING. BOY AM I PISSED! Now I have to deal with 5 racks of ribs I will have to give away or throw away and cancel dinner and likely have to wait another week to get the replacement part (IMO it has to be the controller board but I am sure they will know).

One would think that since they are a BBQ company they would have tech support on the weekends like Weber (yea, I know they are much smaller but still, most problems occur on weekends!). I'm only hoping they can overnight me any part I need because Fedex Ground is 5-6 days to me. If I get it by Tues I may be able to save the ribs. Can't refreeze them because they were frozen to start.

In the interim can anyone think of anything obvious that I may have missed? I didn't see any internal fuse on the circuit board. Are these controllers that subject to failure?

Thanks for listening.

So now I am going to invite friends for ribs on Sunday as my first rib test. They will be guinea pigs.
Never had those.Is this the Camp Chef SmokePro SG24 Centimeter?
Thought you could use a laugh....
This is a bunch of crap! Normally CC stuff is good and if there's a problem (from what I've read here) they take care of it pronto.Hope you get this sorted out soon after riding the fence and jumping into this mess.

My friend. I’m so sorry that happened. Fortunately many bbq joint will cater and get you out of a jamb. I’ve had my electric smokers go down without warning. It really stinks. I feel for ya.
I studied pellet poopers for months and months before I bought mine. So many choices. And due to the popularity more brands are coming on daily. Heck they even sell them at the grocery store now. Many are garbage.
I hope you can take yours back for a refund.
You’re an electronic pro then you know if electronics are going to go It usually happens within the first 72 hours of operations. So.... Maybe time for a refund and switch brands

My friend. I’m so sorry that happened. Fortunately many bbq joint will cater and get you out of a jamb. I’ve had my electric smokers go down without warning. It really stinks. I feel for ya.
I studied pellet poopers for months and months before I bought mine. So many choices. And due to the popularity more brands are coming on daily. Heck they even sell them at the grocery store now. Many are garbage.
I hope you can take yours back for a refund.
You’re an electronic pro then you know if electronics are going to go It usually happens within the first 72 hours of operations. So.... Maybe time for a refund and switch brands

Unfortunately there is no way I can send it back even if I could. Bought it online and have no packaging and even if I did it would be hell to repack it to ship it back. I'm sure they will take care of it because there aren't a lot of parts in it. Gotta be the controller. Just a VERY frustrating few days.

Never had those.Is this the Camp Chef SmokePro SG24 Centimeter?
Thought you could use a laugh....
This is a bunch of crap! Normally CC stuff is good and if there's a problem (from what I've read here) they take care of it pronto.Hope you get this sorted out soon after riding the fence and jumping into this mess.

I felt like a centimeter after having to cancel my first smoke party (for ribs that is). :emoji_blush:

UPDATE - Just got off the phone with Camp Chef and they were very apologetic but not very accommodating because they wouldn't ship overnight even if I wanted to pay for it which means 5 racks of rib being RE-frozen which really isn't great plus a cancelled first smoke party due to lack of food. Problem was (obviously) the controller crapped out in my less than 1 week old SmokePro SG24. Doesn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about this device but maybe I was just (un)lucky this one time. Guess I will just have to wait another week to try again.

Sounds like customer service needs a little kick in the pants. Not that you want to threaten, but might want to mention you are a member of Smoking Meat forum if they don't want to work with you. May open their eyes a bit.

Reactions: Hawging It
UPDATE - Just got off the phone with Camp Chef and they were very apologetic but not very accommodating because they wouldn't ship overnight even if I wanted to pay for it which means 5 racks of rib being RE-frozen which really isn't great plus a cancelled first smoke party due to lack of food. Problem was (obviously) the controller crapped out in my less than 1 week old SmokePro SG24. Doesn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about this device but maybe I was just (un)lucky this one time. Guess I will just have to wait another week to try again.
It will work out for you. Send us pics of the ribs when finished. I'll bet they turn out great.

Like you RIF, I'm new here and just got my CC Woodwind SG w/Sear Box on Feb 21. Had a minor issue with the attachment of the Sear Box and called the company about it the next day. They were very accommodating on being willing to ship me a brand new grill if needed. It turned out not to be needed as I was able to figure out how to correct the problem by myself. Every thing has worked so far and I have cooked a pork steak on it and smoked a chicken breast on it so far. I'm going to attempt a boneless pork roast this weekend and some smoked quail next week. I'm a little better off than you in that I only live about 35 miles from Logan, UT where they are sold out of (they're actually made in China).

Sorry to here about your bad luck, but stuff does happen at the most inopportune times. But I wouldn't give up on the company just yet. :emoji_sunglasses:

And as to re-freezing meat, that is definitely an old wives tale. I've thawed and re-frozen meat for more than 50 years and have never had an issue with taste or quality as long as the meat had never reached a temperature above 40 degrees. Good luck with your party coming up after you get everything going correctly.

Just a random guess, but since you can check continuity, maybe see if the controller ground connection went bad? Sounds like the quality control isn't too good with them, if no one caught the blob of welding spatter you had to pick off. QC should have caught that before painting.

Assuming you have a charcoal or gas grill around too, you could still smoke/grill 2-3 racks indirectly and cook the others in the oven and test diff rubs sauces. It's an opportunity to test flavors if you cannot get the smoker up and running. Buy enough beer so it all tastes good in the end!!!

Reactions: seaham358
Assuming you have a charcoal or gas grill around too, you could still smoke/grill 2-3 racks indirectly and cook the others in the oven and test diff rubs sauces. It's an opportunity to test flavors if you cannot get the smoker up and running. Buy enough beer so it all tastes good in the end!!!

Didn't (don't). Just got the replacement controller 5 mins ago and it powers on. Now to do another test cook. 1 rack O' Ribs will have to defrost in the fridge. Saving the rest for future use.

Or bake the ribs in the oven...

BWAHAHAHA! Oven? Our oven stores towels and boxes of cereal. Don't even know if it works! That's why I am (we are) "RetiredInFL". Wife is also retired and that includes from cooking. 51 yrs of marriage, 2 kids, 2 grandkids ... she's had enough! Besides, she's a vegetarian. It's all on me. She won't come near any meat (no silly jokes now!). :emoji_blush::emoji_blush:

Update to my OP .. got replacement controller today and all seems well. Cooked my first steak (rib-eye) and it actually came out good (was going to say "came out well" but that would confuse the issue since it was MR). The searbox really makes it nice.

Re-Defrosting one of the 5 racks of re-frozen prepped ribs and will try a 3-2-1 on Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky