My really bad experience(s) with my new Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update to my OP .. got replacement controller today and all seems well. Cooked my first steak (rib-eye) and it actually came out good (was going to say "came out well" but that would confuse the issue since it was MR). The searbox really makes it nice.

Re-Defrosting one of the 5 racks of re-frozen prepped ribs and will try a 3-2-1 on Sunday.
Good to hear after all of the BS you went through! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Update to my OP .. got replacement controller today and all seems well. Cooked my first steak (rib-eye) and it actually came out good (was going to say "came out well" but that would confuse the issue since it was MR). The searbox really makes it nice.

Re-Defrosting one of the 5 racks of re-frozen prepped ribs and will try a 3-2-1 on Sunday.
Ah; newly weds. We just celebrated 58 years together. :emoji_wink:

I'm doing the 3-2-1 ribs today. I'm drooling over the thought of how good they are going to be already. Hope to post some pictures later today. I'm using Pit Boss Hickory this time but am looking into getting some Lumber Jack Competition Blend pellets later today if I can find them at a reasonable price locally.

Reactions: RetiredInFl
You got me by 7+ years of wedded bliss :emoji_laughing: and 5 yrs time on earth!

Did my first ribs today (used 3-2-1 method) and they really came out great. Just need to find the "right" bbq sauce and rub. Needless to say the replacement controller worked perfectly and temps almost right on the money with very little variance. I tried removing them from the grate when done and they were so "fall off the bone" they did just that. Ended up with 3 pieces! Will have to use a garden shovel next time. :emoji_blush:

I had the same experience with the doneness at 6 hours. The meat was done to perfection; best I've ever done. My bride and I did NOT care for the CC sauce recipe. I have never been a fan of mustard based sauces. In the future I'll just stick with the Sweet Baby Ray brand of sauces which we both like very much.

I did a center cut, 1 1/2 inch thick sirloin steak last night and it came out excellent as well. About one hour at 225 degrees when the internal temp hit 130. Placed it on the pre-heated sear box for 2 minutes on a side and it was between rare and medium rare, moist, and delicious. Going to do some bobwhite quail later this week and some ground pheasant jerky strips. Life is good.

:emoji_sunglasses:

The pheasant jerky is coming out of the Woodwind in about 10 minutes. The quail will have to wait until next week along with a brisket flat I'm going to do next week. Also got some Filet Mignons lined up one night next week as well. We are liking this pellet grill a bunch.

:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:[/#]

Details, or it didn't happen.....

Not able to make a hyper link but do search Camp chef nightmare on this forum.

Struggled with Camp Chef sg for 9 months. Replaced every part on it more than once. they will keep sending you replacement parts till you get tired of working on it. There controllers are crap. You have two choices to consider. Try aftermarket PID or get rid of your SG. My best day was when I washed my hands of that Camp Chef.

I even replaced complete hopper assembly which took 3 weeks to get. Installed and unit was worse than before. Had all the same problems from burn outs to 100 deg temp changes. The controllers are the problem. Not pellets, and CC knows it. The new hopper had bad auger fan causing flame outs.

I agree and trying to be helpful. I spent $900 and struggled with my SG for 9 months. I installed 4 controllers, 2 auger motors,3 RTD and ash dump gate warps from heat to point not able to dump anymore. IMO his CC only fix would be PID controller with aftermarket auger, motor setup.
While trying to figure out my problem I did a lot of research on these forums. I found out me and Bregent where not the only ones with same problems.

Yes, when it works you think its fixed. With the algorithms of CC controller you will see temp swings from 180 to 245 deg. Start throwing in variables like humidity, low ambient temps, strong wind and cc controller really struggles. CC big wigs come up with neat ideas that sell but without decent controller they are going to p##s many people off.

Well, my new hopper assembly is supposed to be here Saturday. I'll update u guys when I get it put on. I'm really hopeful. I dont see how in the world these things can have the tremendous amount of positive reviews they have if they all do like this.
If your ash dump does not move freely this will be good time to flatten out while changing hoppers. Let us know how it goes.

===<clip>===
Well, my new hopper assembly is supposed to be here Saturday. I'll update u guys when I get it put on. I'm really hopeful. I dont see how in the world these things can have the tremendous amount of positive reviews they have if they all do like this.
If your ash dump does not move freely this will be good time to flatten out while changing hoppers. Let us know how it goes.

One thing I did notice (once I got a working controller) is that my temps are pretty steady maybe +- 10degrees. Sorry (and concerned) about all your problems but I think the highlighted part of your quote is the most informative because I don't see on my 3 months of searching, deciding and combing the internet that they "ALL DO LIKE THIS." I have found equal and multiple complaints from owner of ALL the major brands regardless of price. Hopefully I will have better luck than you.

I would like to find a 3rd party WI-FI controller that drops in. Yes, I do have a FIREBOARD but would like to not have to run in and out and be able to control temps remotely. I did find 1 PID aftermarket controller/auger/fan "system" but at this time don't see the necessity for that. If it was also WI-FI I'd jump on it.

Also, how do you remove the hopper? Tried when having original problem but couldn't figure it out.

Also, how do you remove the hopper? Tried when having original problem but couldn't figure it out.
If I remember right you take loose the RTD from controller. Take ash dump loose and remove about six screws then it should slide out.

I've been reading your troubles with your unit with great interest and being electrician I think what fried your controler unit is power surge.. seems that controler unit lacking or it have very weak power sirge protection... I would suggest to buy power surge protector and plug it in line with your smoker... a lot of time electrical oscillation in power greed can go up to 10 to 15% above nominal voltage and units without surge protection will fry...

I've been reading your troubles with your unit with great interest and being electrician I think what fried your controler unit is power surge.. seems that controler unit lacking or it have very weak power sirge protection... I would suggest to buy power surge protector and plug it in line with your smoker... a lot of time electrical oscillation in power greed can go up to 10 to 15% above nominal voltage and units without surge protection will fry...

Yea, but it wasn't that as I always unplug it. Timing would have had to been very good for it to get hit the very second I turned it on. As a retired electrical engineer (circuit and LSI design back in the late 70's) I understand where you are coming from but just think in this case it was a supply failure. If I get some time I'll check out some of the diodes on the board and the vregs for output just for fun.

I run a surge protector on mine just in case,most folks don't think to run 1 on refrigerators and washing machines but it has saved a bunch of boards.The older stuff was more robust imo but as they have gotten more complicated it has made them delicate

Like you RIF, I'm new here and just got my CC Woodwind SG w/Sear Box on Feb 21. Had a minor issue with the attachment of the Sear Box and called the company about it the next day. They were very accommodating on being willing to ship me a brand new grill if needed. It turned out not to be needed as I was able to figure out how to correct the problem by myself. Every thing has worked so far and I have cooked a pork steak on it and smoked a chicken breast on it so far. I'm going to attempt a boneless pork roast this weekend and some smoked quail next week. I'm a little better off than you in that I only live about 35 miles from Logan, UT where they are sold out of (they're actually made in China).

Sorry to here about your bad luck, but stuff does happen at the most inopportune times. But I wouldn't give up on the company just yet. :emoji_sunglasses:

And as to re-freezing meat, that is definitely an old wives tale. I've thawed and re-frozen meat for more than 50 years and have never had an issue with taste or quality as long as the meat had never reached a temperature above 40 degrees. Good luck with your party coming up after you get everything going correctly.
I love my new CampChef WoodWind SG, and had an issue with sear box - was it too close to the grill when mounted? i had to shim it with a washer. no issues with the grill it's really nice and works very well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky