BrIned, Apple Smoked, Nekkid Chicken ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Not much here , Long time since I did one. One key mistake. I used canning salt vice table salt and did not reduce the quantity. Canning salt should be measured by weight and not volumn due to the fine grind. Canning salt is about 1/4 to 1/3 more salt when measure by volumn. <shrugs> Its not my first time, sure it will not be my last. It was salty but edible. I was making jerky & Texas Trash while smoking the chicken and my mind was bounching all over the place. Anyway, here is the chicken. Didn't get outta the Doc's office and home till 3;00.

IMG_1888.JPG

Dueling chicken halfs. I brined for a day in just sugar and salt, I dryed a day uncovered in the reefer, and I smoked with apple till 163 IT, pulled and rested.

IMG_1890.JPG

Breast was juicy really nicly smoked. BTW I am currently trying some trager pellets. They are slightly larger than what I am used to, but smoke perfectly! Color me impressed. Good thing to, I got 3 each 20lb bags....LOL

IMG_1892.JPG

I changed the color a liitle so you could see the juices. Just look on that cutting board.

IMG_1894.JPG

And finially its the "Bear" View. There is a mucho frio Schiner Bock longneck just out of sight.

Thank you all for looking in, its just that time of year. ( I ordered a cryopac of butts today), I am reloading the freezer. Thinking this will be for andouille. But I also need sausage, and tamales LOL .

Tater Salad, field peas w/snaps. I could have made a full meal right there. And BTW I just had gumbo made with that old salty chicken and you wouldd have never known I had messed it up.

Tater Salad, field peas w/snaps. I could have made a full meal right there. And BTW I just had gumbo made with that old salty chicken and you wouldd have never known I had messed it up.

Resourceful making something else out of over salted chicken. Good thinking Foam.

I thought that they were baked beans with Green beans on top.

Thank you, ya know after so long even a blind hog eventually fines an acorn.

You wanta try something soul or country food thats really good? Cook some fresh crowder peas and before done, add okra to it. Just lay 'em on the top till done...... Oh my. Everyone like the snaps better than the peas, I have put green beans on top of fresh peas with no snaps before and no one knew it. LOL

Reactions: one eyed jack
Good looking bird. I am interested in the Texas trash you speak of. Chex mix type of snack stuff?

Thank you. Yes, we always called it Bridge Mix, then Texas Trash, then I found a very very old Recipe book that called it Nibbles. Its the best of all I have tryed.

Nibbles (Texas Trash)
1006_00423779.jpg
I first heard it called Bridge Mix (Mom and Dad actually had bridge parties). Then I learned my kin folks called it Texas Trash, they all lived in Texas! Then I found Mom's secret recipe stash and in an old pre-WWII cookbook was Nibbles.

Remember Boxes are the old smaller boxes !!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 poundsbutter
2 teaspoonsgarlic salt
2 1/2 teaspoonsWorcestershire sauce
3 teaspoonsonion grated
6 toesgarlic smashed
1 1/2 tablespoonsLowreys season salt
1 boxCherrios
1 boxpretzels Straight
1 boxchex rice cereal
1 boxcorn chex cereal
1/2 boxchex wheat cereal
1/2 boxChees-its
2 cupsnuts
Directions:
1. Add garlic salt, Lowerys, garlic toes, Butter, worcestershire, & onion juice in a double boiler 5 to 10 mins. till salts dissolve.
2. Pour over cereals and mix
3. Into the roaster or oven roast 2 hours at 200 degrees
4. Stir every 30 mins.
Store in airtight jars.

I only use 2 boxes rice chex, cherrios, broken pretzels (must break pretzels), ChezZits, fancy nuts (if for someone else), and those fresh garlics and onion is important. Why? Because these are the things I find that I like best in it.

I changed the garlic salt to plain garlic powder, I also dropped from 1 and 1/2 lbs of butter to 3/4C of butter and 1/4 C of olive oil. Less salt, less butter and good chlorestrol. Its called old age. LOL

Thank you. Yes, we always called it Bridge Mix, then Texas Trash, then I found a very very old Recipe book that called it Nibbles. Its the best of all I have tryed.

Nibbles (Texas Trash)
View attachment 512587
I first heard it called Bridge Mix (Mom and Dad actually had bridge parties). Then I learned my kin folks called it Texas Trash, they all lived in Texas! Then I found Mom's secret recipe stash and in an old pre-WWII cookbook was Nibbles.

Remember Boxes are the old smaller boxes !!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 poundsbutter
2 teaspoonsgarlic salt
2 1/2 teaspoonsWorcestershire sauce
3 teaspoonsonion grated
6 toesgarlic smashed
1 1/2 tablespoonsLowreys season salt
1 boxCherrios
1 boxpretzels Straight
1 boxchex rice cereal
1 boxcorn chex cereal
1/2 boxchex wheat cereal
1/2 boxChees-its
2 cupsnuts
Directions:
1. Add garlic salt, Lowerys, garlic toes, Butter, worcestershire, & onion juice in a double boiler 5 to 10 mins. till salts dissolve.
2. Pour over cereals and mix
3. Into the roaster or oven roast 2 hours at 200 degrees
4. Stir every 30 mins.
Store in airtight jars.

I only use 2 boxes rice chex, cherrios, broken pretzels (must break pretzels), ChezZits, fancy nuts (if for someone else), and those fresh garlics and onion is important. Why? Because these are the things I find that I like best in it.

I changed the garlic salt to plain garlic powder, I also dropped from 1 and 1/2 lbs of butter to 3/4C of butter and 1/4 C of olive oil. Less salt, less butter and good chlorestrol. Its called old age. LOL
Thank you for this!

Don't think I have had real gumbo, maybe something Campbells made in a can years ago

David

Gumbo basics?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Gumbo basics?

Thank you for this. will read tonight when I get back from work

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky