Beets Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I could live off the pickled beets in a jar/can. This prompted me to check inventory in the pantry. 3 jars... 1 sweet and sour harvard beets, 1 sliced & 1 whole pickled. All Aunt Nellie's brand. Never cooked them on the grill. but I see this happening.

I will grow enough beets for pickling a dozon jars and when I make Borscht I use the pickled ones in there. My mom being Ukrainian made Borscht a couple times a month but I cannot remember if she used raw or pickled. Beets are very good for you.

Reactions: biged57
My favorite way to prepare beets is to throw them in the trash!
Jake
My wife is offended by your comment.:emoji_laughing: She loves them.
I agree with you, the best beet is no beet.
They are in season down here so the apartment reeeks of beets. She cooked another batch this afternoon. I'll try to mask it by baking a batch of bread in the morning.
Yeah purple poop at my age isn't a good thing.

Chris

However this is one beat I'll take

Wife says if you cook them completely as in boil, the poop doesn't darken.
Don't eat beets, but the stinky urine from asparagus will singe your nostril hairs.

LMAO, yeah, asparagus whizz does have a funk to it.
I just figured out that I now like asparagus and cauliflower since covid evolving taste changes. We have a lot of wild asparagus in the ditches adjacent to our fields. I'm going to piss of off a lot of foragers when I post signs that picking is off limits. MN law states that ditch harvest first rights go to the land owner or renter. This was intended for ditch grass hay , but doesn't restrict for other harvest. I can sell the excess stalks to a local specialty store that I know the owners.

Reactions: DougE
Beets taste like dirt to me and cilantro like soap. However I still seem to eat and enjoy them both. It’s kind of weird.
I copy and pasted from another site the below info. I love Cilantro but have friends who can't stand it and always say it tastes like soap. I never understood that till I saw a study about it. Kind of interesting

for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population, though it varies geographically.

I copy and pasted from another site the below info. I love Cilantro but have friends who can't stand it and always say it tastes like soap. I never understood that till I saw a study about it. Kind of interesting

for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population, though it varies geographically.
I'm in the small percentage with this genetic quirk. Cilantro pretty much tastes like I bit into a bar of soap.

Beets are like the Rodney Dangerfield of veggies. I slather em in olive oil and salt, wrap em in foil and throw em on the grill or oven to roast. Add a little butter(or a lot) and maybe a splash of vinegar........Man, you can't Beet em. Crispy root end the best part.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky