Capicolla rub recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
Im getting ready to make a run of Capicolla again.
I did the Umai thing and did the long cure, but this time I want to do a cooked/ smoked capicola and just cure with #1.
I used the Umai rub and wasnt a fan of it really.
Looking online there is dozens of varied recipes, so Im looking for a tried and tested recipe that you use.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've made coppa exactly once, and I used the recipe from 2 guys and a cooler. Spicy and tasty. I'll do that again.

Several threads out there. Here is a good tutorial.

this time I want to do a cooked/ smoked capicola and just cure with #1.
I did one cured with Tender quick for 2 weeks . Rinsed , dried and rubbed with paprika , black pepper , ground fennel and anise . Smoked to 152 internal .
It was good . Had a bit of heat from the black pepper , and spice from the anise and fennel . Paprika for color .
20220911_164820.jpg
20220912_070541.jpg
20220912_070558.jpg

Last edited:
The UMAI spices are VERY GOOD. I took a look at the 2 guys and feel the spice mix missing anise and fennel is a not gonna be like UMAI. Rich chopsaw chopsaw has been schooling me on italian and I think I am close to where I want to be. WIll find out soon as run this next batch. DANG wish I would seen this thread earler when butts were still on sale!

Reactions: chopsaw
The UMAI spices are VERY GOOD. I took a look at the 2 guys and feel the spice mix missing anise and fennel is a not gonna be like UMAI. Rich chopsaw chopsaw has been schooling me on italian and I think I am close to where I want to be. WIll find out soon as run this next batch. DANG wish I would seen this thread earler when butts were still on sale!
I used those for my first attempt at cured Capicola. They are good but up here in Canada they are super pricey.

Reactions: zwiller
I used those for my first attempt at cured Capicola. They are good but up here in Canada they are super pricey.
I get it. Even here they're not cheap BUT they really are good. Wait, I'll order a bunch and meet you in Windsor LOL Standard bachelor party run for us here...

I get it. Even here they're not cheap BUT they really are good. Wait, I'll order a bunch and meet you in Windsor LOL Standard bachelor party run for us here...
Sounds like a plan.
Actually I was just in Barrie for a wedding this past weekend.

Reactions: zwiller
What size netting did you use?
That was probably 28 . It goes by the number of cells / squares around the outside .

Just found a pic . That's 28 .
20220911_112329.jpg
Any aromatics added to the Tenderquick?
I don't really remember , but you certainly could .
You could do your salt at whatever percentage you like , cure one and a spice profile you like .

I also did a loin that was injected with the phosphate cure from Dave . I also used anise extract in the injection . Hung in a ham bag .
Be a good way to do a coppa .
20200805_103457.jpg
20200807_075206.jpg
20200807_075418.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky