Apple pie baked beans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLinza

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 24, 2021
Colorado
So my Uncle does a hog every year around this time, and it's just a big party with a ton of good folks. He asked me if I would also help out with a side dish again this year, and my wife said " how bout those beans you make". So that's what it was. I made way more, but I'll give the normal version of what I did. I also don't do much in the way of measurements., so I'll try to give approximate amounts... oh & I drained the beans a bit, as I was adding so much extra moisture to it.

-2- 28oz cans bushes beans ( would have done dry beans if I had the time)
-1 lb breakfast sausage
-1 red bell pepper
-1 green bell pepper ( use what you think is appropriate)
- 1 can apple pie filling
-1 sweet onion ( I used half)
- 1/4 or 1/8 cup brown sugar ( a couple handfuls)
-Bbq sauce ( I used blues hog original, about half of a normal bottle)
-a few good dashes of "washursister" sauce.
- some crushed red pepper
- and seasoned with a sweet heat rub.
I Put it on the MB 1050 for a couple hours at 225.
20240629_110911.jpg

20240629_134209.jpg

No more pics of the rest of the party... I was to busy having a damn good time. But figured I'd share since this turned out so good. Thanks for lookin. 👍

Last edited:
Lookin' good 👍. This is a classic recipe in BBQ circles. When I make them for parties or football Sunday pot lucks, I actually print copies of the recipe because so many people ask for it. I was introduced to this recipe about 25 years ago on the BBQ forum back when the late Ray Basso was the owner, moderator and all around ambassador for BBQ.

A slight variation is called "Hog Apple Beans" by Keri C. and my cookin' notes show a post from 2006 that mentions Jack's Old South does something similar to this, they use peach pie filling instead. I've used a combination of apple pie filling and a lesser amount of cherry pie filling, which leans toward the sweeter side.

Lookin' good 👍. This is a classic recipe in BBQ circles. When I make them for parties or football Sunday pot lucks, I actually print copies of the recipe because so many people ask for it. I was introduced to this recipe about 25 years ago on the BBQ forum back when the late Ray Basso was the owner, moderator and all around ambassador for BBQ.

A slight variation is called "Hog Apple Beans" by Keri C. and my cookin' notes show a post from 2006 that mentions Jack's Old South does something similar to this, they use peach pie filling instead. I've used a combination of apple pie filling and a lesser amount of cherry pie filling, which leans toward the sweeter side.
Thanks, I definitely had people asking about it for sure. I've heard of people using peach, gonna have to give that one a try. Maybe add a splash of bourbon to it also.

Never tried apples but use Myron's recipe with peach pie filling and it's always a hit.
Want to try it this year with fresh smoked peaches!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky