Apple pie baked beans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLinza

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 24, 2021
Colorado
So my Uncle does a hog every year around this time, and it's just a big party with a ton of good folks. He asked me if I would also help out with a side dish again this year, and my wife said " how bout those beans you make". So that's what it was. I made way more, but I'll give the normal version of what I did. I also don't do much in the way of measurements., so I'll try to give approximate amounts... oh & I drained the beans a bit, as I was adding so much extra moisture to it.

-2- 28oz cans bushes beans ( would have done dry beans if I had the time)
-1 lb breakfast sausage
-1 red bell pepper
-1 green bell pepper ( use what you think is appropriate)
- 1 can apple pie filling
-1 sweet onion ( I used half)
- 1/4 or 1/8 cup brown sugar ( a couple handfuls)
-Bbq sauce ( I used blues hog original, about half of a normal bottle)
-a few good dashes of "washursister" sauce.
- some crushed red pepper
- and seasoned with a sweet heat rub.
I Put it on the MB 1050 for a couple hours at 225.
20240629_110911.jpg

20240629_134209.jpg

No more pics of the rest of the party... I was to busy having a damn good time. But figured I'd share since this turned out so good. Thanks for lookin. 👍

Last edited:
Lookin' good 👍. This is a classic recipe in BBQ circles. When I make them for parties or football Sunday pot lucks, I actually print copies of the recipe because so many people ask for it. I was introduced to this recipe about 25 years ago on the BBQ forum back when the late Ray Basso was the owner, moderator and all around ambassador for BBQ.

A slight variation is called "Hog Apple Beans" by Keri C. and my cookin' notes show a post from 2006 that mentions Jack's Old South does something similar to this, they use peach pie filling instead. I've used a combination of apple pie filling and a lesser amount of cherry pie filling, which leans toward the sweeter side.

Lookin' good 👍. This is a classic recipe in BBQ circles. When I make them for parties or football Sunday pot lucks, I actually print copies of the recipe because so many people ask for it. I was introduced to this recipe about 25 years ago on the BBQ forum back when the late Ray Basso was the owner, moderator and all around ambassador for BBQ.

A slight variation is called "Hog Apple Beans" by Keri C. and my cookin' notes show a post from 2006 that mentions Jack's Old South does something similar to this, they use peach pie filling instead. I've used a combination of apple pie filling and a lesser amount of cherry pie filling, which leans toward the sweeter side.
Thanks, I definitely had people asking about it for sure. I've heard of people using peach, gonna have to give that one a try. Maybe add a splash of bourbon to it also.

Never tried apples but use Myron's recipe with peach pie filling and it's always a hit.
Want to try it this year with fresh smoked peaches!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky