Appetizer: Chicken Balls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well I decided to steal one of my wifes favorite appetizers and give it a go on the kettle. She normally deep fries these little beauties and they turn out great. However since I'm trying my best to eliminate frying foods in oil - I just had to give it a shot.

Chicken Balls:

Ingredients: 2lbs ground chicken, 1 tsp each - onion powder, ginger, salt, and Italian seasoning. 3 tsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp melted butter, 1/4 tsp of each - chili powder, paprika, sugar, and baking soda. 1/4 cup of Franks Orig. Red Hot Sauce, 1 egg yolk, 2 cups shedded cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup of water.

DSC01196.JPG

Directions: Place ground chicken in a bowl and add in all ingredients. Mix well until the chicken resembles a mush. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour.

Ingredients #2, Dry mix: 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper.

Directions: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Ingredients #3, Wet mix: 3 eggs, 2 tbsp of milk, 2 tsp Worcester sauce.

Directions: Put all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside.

Bread coating: Place seasoned bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and set aside.

Let's make some Chicken Balls
: Spread a piece of parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet. Get the chicken mixture out of the freezer. Using your hands or a cookie scoop take enough chicken to form a 2oz. balls(about golf ball size). Coat the ball in the flour, then give it a spin in the egg mixture and finally coat it in the bread crumbs. Then place on the cookie sheet and repeat the process.

You should wind up with something similar to these:

DSC01198.JPG

Next fire up the kettle/vortex combo with a chunk of apple wood and place the chicken balls around the outside(this is my 22" kettle):

DSC01199.JPG

After about 40 minutes the internal temp should be about 165 to 170* remove from the kettle:

DSC01200.JPG

Plated shot with a little SBR Hot Wing Sauce:

SAM_3289.JPG

Sliced open with a fork(sorry about the blurry shot - PBRs do that after a while)

SAM_3291.JPG

All I can say was this was a total success. They came out crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. No more deep fat frying these in our house.
You can change up the ingredients if you want to make them a little spicier or tangy. I would recommend these if you had a couple of chicken breast sitting in your freezer and you needed a change. Or if your going to a party and want to bring something different. Heck we ate them for supper.

Thanks for looking
Chris

Looks great! I may have to give this a try. The local store has pretty much been wiped out when it comes to beef but they had a pile of ground chicken last time I went.

Looks great! I may have to give this a try. The local store has pretty much been wiped out when it comes to beef but they had a pile of ground chicken last time I went.

When my wife makes this she grinds chicken breasts with the KA. I took a short cut because like you meat is difficult to find, and I also didn't want to clean up the KA. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Looks good chris. Must have took a few chickens to get all that ball meat

LOL I had a different name picked out but decided to go the clean route. Also thanks for the compliment appreciate it.

Chris

Reactions: TNJAKE
I’m thinking I have a lot of chicken in my freezer. I have a grinder for my KA too. You have inspired me. Does she grind them mostly thawed or completely thawed?

G

Nice . Great idea . You know I like the breaded cooks on the kettle . I'll be trying this . Thanks for posting .
Heck , that be a great supper in my world .

Some wonderful outside the box creative thinking Chris, big Like! I'm not all that much on doing wings but this will inspire a vortex purchase. Oh my, that didn't take long! I showed my wife your post, the vortex has been ordered. Guess I'll be doing more wings too. RAY

They look tasty Chris. I have them bookmarked and will give them a try. Like

Thanks for the like Gator, if you do try them let me know

I’m thinking I have a lot of chicken in my freezer. I have a grinder for my KA too. You have inspired me. Does she grind them mostly thawed or completely thawed?

G

Mostly thawed, she doesn't want to stress out the KA. They're a good change of pace for chicken breasts. Thanks

Chris

Awesome idea Chris. Bet it would work great with ground turkey too which is most always available in the stores.

Warren

I don't see why it wouldn't work with turkey Warren. Thanks for the like and compliment.

Those sound real good, Chris.
What temp do figure the kettle was running at?? I'll have to do them in the MES.
POINT
Gary

Gary
Temp was probably over 450*. I had the vents wide open on the kettle with the vortex. I needed a glove to pick up the lid. Thanks for the like and kind words appreciate them

Chris

Nice . Great idea . You know I like the breaded cooks on the kettle . I'll be trying this . Thanks for posting .
Heck , that be a great supper in my world .

Thanks Chop for the like and look. They taste great and it's a good way to use that odd breast or two sitting in your freezer.

Some wonderful outside the box creative thinking Chris, big Like! I'm not all that much on doing wings but this will inspire a vortex purchase. Oh my, that didn't take long! I showed my wife your post, the vortex has been ordered. Guess I'll be doing more wings too. RAY

Ray your gonna love that Vortex. It works wonders on allot more then just wings. Thank you for the like and compliment.

Chris

Thanks for the like Gator, if you do try them let me know

Mostly thawed, she doesn't want to stress out the KA. They're a good change of pace for chicken breasts. Thanks

Chris
Thanks, I really do have to give this a try. Have you ever dipped them in a buffalo sauce or basted them with buffalo sauce and then dipped in blue cheese dressing?

Damn Chris those are some big balls! Glad you were able to get them nice and firm.

In all seriousness they look great man. Washed down with a few PBR tall boys sounds like a good meal to me!

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky