Anyone build a fully insulated offset smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raymo76

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
My welding skills are non existent, I actually sold my Lincoln Idealarc due to other issues, but I've been tinkering with the idea of trying to build a fully insulated offset. Anyone done this? I'm thinking it would allow a new welder like me to not have to use such heavy materials and thus worry so much about penetration on my welds. The big thing is though is I want fuel efficiency.

I am also considering a insulated upright smoker build.

Thoughts???

I found a bakery proofing rack last summer that had all the shelf brackets from top to bottom. It is basically an aluminum box. I was able to bolt thin I-beam steel for studs and insulate. I screwed pole building metal over the insulation and built everything with out welding.

I have an old double stove element which runs off 220. The insulation helps so much that on high I can achieve 375 in the winter. I had a steel plate sheered that the element sits in so I can adjust the size of the smoker. I can raise the plate and cut the smoker size as small or large as I want it which is efficient.

I have moved the temp probe around to different spots and there doesn't seem to be any major hot or cold spots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky