18 Hour Smoked Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
Ummm. Pulled pork.

I smoked a 9 pound shoulder for 18 hours at 250F with oak pellets on the Yoder. First I injected it with as much Dr. Pepper as I could get it to retain, then I seasoned it heavily with Meat Church's "Honey Hog". Every so often I basted it with apple cider to keep it moist.

Once done I let it rest in a cooler for an hour, then split it into thirds - I gave a third of it to a few friends that we haven't been able to hang out
with because of the quarantine.

Man, was it tender .... it just "smooshed" when I went to shred it! It was delicious.
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg
thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:
Boy howdy, that is just a wonderful, beautiful smoke, huge Like! I'm not a wrapper and love that bark, seems porkbutts are taking a bit longer recently for some reason, who knows. So you inject with straight Dr Pepper, as in the soft drink soda pop? RAY

Yes sawhorseray sawhorseray , straight up soda pop. I had a friend tell me that's how he does pork shoulder, so what the heck? I thought I'd give it a try. The meat is so moist and tender, and there is no "soda pop" flavor, just good sweet pork flavor.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sounds good, I'm trying it on my next one! I understand injecting increases the smoke time a bit, but as long as they all seem to take so long anyway lately no big deal. RAY

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
I think you nailed that one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Since you are a Dr Pepper fan too, I'm curious if you have ever had Dublin Dr Pepper, sadly they don't make it anymore? It was made at the plant in Dublin, Texas and was made with pure cane sugar. There is a sugar sweetened Dr Pepper sold in Texas, but it's not as good as the Dublin version. Anyways, I would cut it 40:60 with home made smoked pork broth for my injection. Now I use Mexican CocaCola, which is also made with cane sugar.

Looks great. I haven't tried bondage on a pork shoulder.

I smoked a 7# shoulder (butt) on Sunday for around 12 hours.
No inject. A simple rub and wrap for 12 hours before going on the pooper (pellet grill) at 250° with a smoke tube full of maple for a mild smoke flavor. Last 2 hours in the oven due to threat of rain. Hey why not? Meat stops taking smoke so just wasting valuable pellets

Does injecting (basically sugar water) add that much time to a higher temperature smoke?

Looks great. I haven't tried bondage on a pork shoulder.

I smoked a 7# shoulder (butt) on Sunday for around 12 hours.
No inject. A simple rub and wrap for 12 hours before going on the pooper (pellet grill) at 250° with a smoke tube full of maple for a mild smoke flavor. Last 2 hours in the oven due to threat of rain. Hey why not? Meat stops taking smoke so just wasting valuable pellets

Does injecting (basically sugar water) add that much time to a higher temperature smoke?
Yes it sure does, any injection is going to take an hour or two+ hours longer than no injection.
I injected a pork picnic a few years ago and it took 22 hours, the week before I smoked a larger picnic and it was done in 18 hours at 265* both were unwrapped throughout the whole smoke.

I'm also a fan of using Mexican Coke as well but not as injection I put it in a spray bottle to spritz, it adds a nice sweet bark to the butts and a nice caramel color. I like using Dijon mustard then a simple rub made up of coarse smoked salt, coarse black pepper and sometimes smoked Hungarian paprika, it's my K.I.S.S
( Keep, It, Simple, Stupid) method.

If I could find the Dublin Dr. Pepper I'd use it in a heart beat, the stuff was amazing.
My nephew was stationed at the Marine Aviation training base in Corpus Christi and when he would come home he'd bring me 24 to 48 of the D.Dr. Peppers. And some cream soda that was out of this world and I'm not really into cream soda. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
Damn Old Timer's is get'in to me again.

Dan

Last edited:
Ummm. Pulled pork.

I smoked a 9 pound shoulder for 18 hours at 250F with oak pellets on the Yoder. First I injected it with as much Dr. Pepper as I could get it to retain, then I seasoned it heavily with Meat Church's "Honey Hog". Every so often I basted it with apple cider to keep it moist.

Once done I let it rest in a cooler for an hour, then split it into thirds - I gave a third of it to a few friends that we haven't been able to hang out
with because of the quarantine.

Man, was it tender .... it just "smooshed" when I went to shred it! It was delicious.
View attachment 442405View attachment 442406View attachment 442407View attachment 442408View attachment 442409View attachment 442410View attachment 442411
Nice butt bro............Bawhahaha, did I just say that out loud?
Beautiful color on that bark, nice work.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky