Wind, wind, wind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newmexicoalien

Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Have been wanting to smoke for several weeks now, but the winds have been horrendous here in SE New Mexico this spring--no significant moisture since last August, dry as a bone, grass fires almost everyday.  All of that has kept me from trying to smoke anything--can't picture trying to control temperatures with the wind blowing the way it has been.  If anyone has any experience smoking in 25 to 40 mph winds, with gusts to 60, let me know how you accomplish it, will you?  Fair amount of grilling, but, alas, no smoking!

Tell us some more. What smoker, against the house, out in the open? A little give's us seasoned smokers something to work with.  Also pics can speak a bunch. :)

SE NM? The whole state. This is the windiest spring that I can remember and it is the driest beginning to a year on record since 1897 for the state. In spring, dry and extra windy tend to go together. If you can, find an area that is a little more shielded and you might be able to control those temps.

welcome1.gif

I'm feeling for ya, often windy where I'm at. I built my house to block to block the wind

but when it blows it swirls pretty good. It's still tough with charc/wood smoker. Took me

a long time to do ribs this late winter because of the swirling winds [maybe being a

newbie too]. Bought a MES to battle the winter and winds. good luck, hope the wind

lets up for you.

Happy smoking,

Big AL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky