Wild Hog leg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papichulo

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Houston
Has anyone on here smoked a ham from a wild hog? Don't know if you do anything different than from a store bought Boston butt. I have a wild hog that I got last week and want to smoke a ham and have pulled pork for Christmas dinner. When I clean her, I left as much fat on the ham as I could. I plan on smoking to internal temp of 205...approximately. I'd say the ham weighs about 8 - 9 lbs. Gonna use hickory too and a water pan.
Anyway, appreciate the help

Chuck

I believe the Boston butt is actually the front shoulder not the rear end

I cooked one last week on a BGE at work and I will just tell you this... DONT DO IT!!! Unless its a small wild hog. The gameiness (sp?) was very overwhelming and the texture sucked. I would not recommend this for a Christmas dinner at all. I injected it and heavily rubbed it and still nothing worth eating. I was told after the fact that soaking the entire ham in cider vinegar would help some but I dont know for sure. Just my $.02.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky