Firehouse New Years Dinner....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Celebrated New Years with the guys at the firehouse tonight. The menu:

8# fried venison back strap cutlets
Red beans and rice, cornbread battered bouillettes
Wild hog breakfast sausage cornbread dressing

Cousin pulled out 4 double packs of back strap from last year (clearing out the freezers) to fry up. I made the cornbread dressing with the leftover cornbread we had Thursday night with red beans and rice. Also made the bouillettes with the leftover red beans and rice.

The Red beans and rice, Cornbread battered bouillettes:

First I pulled all the smoke sausage out of the beans and cut each round into 4 pieces.
IMG_20231230_115030.jpg

Then I sauteed red bell pepper and green onion in a little butter, folded that into the bean batter.
IMG_20231230_115023.jpg

Pulled out the leftover spiral sliced Hormel ham and diced about 2 cups to add in....
IMG_20231230_122636.jpg

added ~1/2 cup ham stock and mixed that in....
IMG_20231230_115505.jpg

lastly, added 1 beaten egg and about 1/2c. flour to tighten it up so the balls would hold shape. Rolled them into balls, then passed them though 50:50 mix of flour and cornmeal, set on sheet pan. TAfter they were all coated, I added baking powder and a little salt to the dry mix, whisked in good. Now the wet.....1c. milk, 1 egg, 1/4c. oil...whisk good. Each ball received triple coating of both wet and dry mix. Now ready to fry in the new frier...
IMG_20231230_161802.jpg

IMG_20231230_163141.jpg

IMG_20231230_163138.jpg

IMG_20231230_163237.jpg

Sooooo Gooooood!!!!!! The crispy crunch of the cornbreading and the soft redbeans and rice center; match made in heaven!
IMG_20231230_163349.jpg

IMG_20231230_171944.jpg

The Dressing

Jimmy Dean cornbread dressing recipe, but I used our homemade wild hog breakfast sausage...wet it down with some chicken stock and ham stock...
IMG_20231230_171956.jpg

back strap cutlets....

IMG_20231230_171919.jpg

Had 2 full pizza boxes of fried back strap cutlets...nobody left the table hungry!
IMG_20231230_171923.jpg

Oh...also had french cut green beans with ham and ham stock...
IMG_20231230_172008.jpg

The Plate:
IMG_20231230_182254.jpg

The close up...
IMG_20231230_182305.jpg

I am SO stuffed!!! Very good comfort food tonight! What sucked though for the guys is they had a cardiac arrest call drop right as we were about to start serving....delayed dinner about 45 minutes....

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_115033.jpg
    IMG_20231230_115033.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 10
I have tried to come up with a way to use a wet batter like they do with corndogs, but the redbean filling is just way too soft. The wet then dry works. I use the Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe but separate the wet and dry....

Reactions: chilerelleno
Great looking meal!

Jim
Thanks Jim!

Now Keith, that is a great way to start the New Year off, with a full belly of that right there.

Love the cornbread dressing and the balls, I can imagine the flavours.

David
Thank you David! I also make left over jambalaya and white bean bouillettes. Those are very good too. I batter those with seasoned wheat flour much the same as boudin balls.

Wow those balls look good! That plate would make me very happy. No venison for me this year:emoji_disappointed:
Thanks Brian!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks and sounds fantastic Keith.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you David! I also make left over jambalaya and white bean bouillettes. Those are very good too. I batter those with seasoned wheat flour much the same as boudin balls.

normally try and smoke smoke all the different balls with the different fillers I put in like the gravy and or Cubin Papas Rellenas.
But would love to have the new deep fryer you guys have at the fire house.

David

Reactions: indaswamp
What a spread,
Celebrated New Years with the guys at the firehouse tonight. The menu:

8# fried venison back strap cutlets
Red beans and rice, cornbread battered bouillettes
Wild hog breakfast sausage cornbread dressing

Cousin pulled out 4 double packs of back strap from last year (clearing out the freezers) to fry up. I made the cornbread dressing with the leftover cornbread we had Thursday night with red beans and rice. Also made the bouillettes with the leftover red beans and rice.

The Red beans and rice, Cornbread battered bouillettes:

First I pulled all the smoke sausage out of the beans and cut each round into 4 pieces.
View attachment 684570

Then I sauteed red bell pepper and green onion in a little butter, folded that into the bean batter.
View attachment 684569

Pulled out the leftover spiral sliced Hormel ham and diced about 2 cups to add in....
View attachment 684573

added ~1/2 cup ham stock and mixed that in....
View attachment 684572

lastly, added 1 beaten egg and about 1/2c. flour to tighten it up so the balls would hold shape. Rolled them into balls, then passed them though 50:50 mix of flour and cornmeal, set on sheet pan. TAfter they were all coated, I added baking powder and a little salt to the dry mix, whisked in good. Now the wet.....1c. milk, 1 egg, 1/4c. oil...whisk good. Each ball received triple coating of both wet and dry mix. Now ready to fry in the new frier...
View attachment 684574
View attachment 684576
View attachment 684575
View attachment 684577

Sooooo Gooooood!!!!!! The crispy crunch of the cornbreading and the soft redbeans and rice center; match made in heaven!
View attachment 684578
View attachment 684581

The Dressing

Jimmy Dean cornbread dressing recipe, but I used our homemade wild hog breakfast sausage...wet it down with some chicken stock and ham stock...
View attachment 684582

back strap cutlets....

View attachment 684579

Had 2 full pizza boxes of fried back strap cutlets...nobody left the table hungry!
View attachment 684580

Oh...also had french cut green beans with ham and ham stock...
View attachment 684583

The Plate:
View attachment 684584

The close up...
View attachment 684585

I am SO stuffed!!! Very good comfort food tonight! What sucked though for the guys is they had a cardiac arrest call drop right as we were about to start serving....delayed dinner about 45 minutes....
What a spread, mouth watering for sure. Love the beans n rice idea. I'm going to try that.

I wish I was closer o feed m son and his crew at the station.
He's at the busiest station so meals may get delayed, too.

I have tried to come up with a way to use a wet batter like they do with corndogs, but the redbean filling is just way too soft. The wet then dry works. I use the Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe but separate the wet and dry....
Freeze the bean and rice filling in balls. Its already cooked. Only the thick batter needs cooking and by then the center is warmed out

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky