Whole chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rusty Zipper

Original poster
May 10, 2019
I had four whole chickens, spatchcocked. Not a dirty comment I just cut out the backbones and tail, spread them out on the racks after marinade. I smoked them for two hours at a setting of 275*. It was indicating 285 with the heat at 95* yesterday. Would have been more if the smoker was rolled all the way out into the PM sun. The smoker was the Masterbuilt electric. the chickens and a few leg/thigh pieces were falling apart when I took them out. Looks like I need to get a remote thermometer and cook to temp. It tastes good and the texture is OK. I'm not sure I like the falling apart thing for myself. It was hard to get the whole chicken off the rack and onto the pan without falling off the tongs. Wife declared a success, I say learning experience. What do you folks think??? Be Well. Rusty

Not sure I ever had 1 cook that fast on my electric smoker, but fall apart tender with some firm skin would be fine to me

Yup , if it ends up fall apart , let it . get some buns and sauce . Makes great sandwiches .
Yes on the therm , and once you spatch the bird , there's not much holding the leg and thigh to the breast . They can fall apart easily .

Sounds like a success to me especially without knowing the final IT. I spatch all my birds and have had a couple fall apart when trying to get them out...it happens. Since the MES only goes up to 275 take it to 165 in the breast then toss it in the oven on broiler for 2-3 min to crisp up that outside skin. Makes a hell of a difference. And yes to the thermometer!

If there is any left at this point I will try to get my adult son to get a photograph. Be Well. Rusty

Ordered the Maverick XR50. We'll see if that can cure my minor difficulties. I knew I probably needed one. Thanks and Be Well. Bandito

Yup , if it ends up fall apart , let it . get some buns and sauce . Makes great sandwiches .
Yes on the therm , and once you spatch the bird , there's not much holding the leg and thigh to the breast . They can fall apart easily .

I'm with Chopsaw on this one.
Do we have to bring our own Rolls??

Bear

I'm "roll poor". Bring em yself. They're hot right now. I did two this afternoon. Still warm I guess. Be Well. Rustyzipper

You missed the turn off Chopsaw. I found a partial bag of King Hawaiian buns. So I'm getting pretty hungry here. O'Fallon is just this side of St Louis and you should be here. I'm HUNGRY. Be Well. Rusty

I'm east of St Joseph and north of Kansas City in the state of Misery. Be Well. Rusty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky