Whole Chickens w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
So there was a discussion awhile ago about adding apple to rubs well today I tried it. I didn't brine these birds as I normally do but I did mix some powdered apple into Jeff's rub. Out of the 5 people that ate the chicken all said they could taste the apple flavor and liked it. I didn't go for overpowering apple I used 2 1/2 TBS in with the other ingredients. I will try adding it to the brine next time. I used the GOSM at about 325 degrees with apple chips (I can't get apple chunks here)

b877ad47_DSC02439.jpg

56851e41_DSC02440.jpg

42221a4b_DSC02441.jpg

7b588e00_DSC02442.jpg

3d58534c_DSC02445.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' good, Jerry! The dried apple in the rub has gotta have a nice flavor. Great idea for a sweeter taste.

Thanks for sharing!

Eric

Nice!!!! Man that looks good! At 325, what internal temp do you pull at? Just curious 'cause that skin looks lip-smackin' good!!!!!

Best,
Trout

Those are some kick azz yardbirds, Jerry. The skin looks nice and cripsy. Just out of curiousity, do you think that the 5 diners were tasting the apple powder initially or was it more of the apple smoke from the chips, or a combination of both?

The birds were smoked to 170 internal. I normally use the apple chips and apple juice so we are used to that taste but this had even more apple flavor

Those look like some really tastey birds. Can you use apple chunks in a GOSM ???I have always used chips. If I bring you some chunks will let me have some chicken?

You bring apple chunks or splits and I'll give ya the chickens. I've got to figure out a way to get a load of splits for the Lang but finding chunks for the GOSM would be great too

Those are some outstanding looking birds, Piney. You did a fantastic job on them and the apple rub/smoke sounds perfect. Congratulations!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Sweet looking birds Jerry.

Help! I'm in England and its going to be sunny tomorrow so I've got by Brinkmann smoker out of the garage. I've got a 2kg (5lb?) chicken to cook - but cant find the recipe book. How long do I cook it for and at what temperature? I dont have a meat thermometer and the shops are shut now. And whats this 'brining' thing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky