When hot smoking, final temp where it can be eaten right away but not render fat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mawil1013

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Carolina's.
I'm confused about this, When hot smoking cured sausage, Is it cooking to be eaten when taken out at 160F or is removing it at that temperature mean it will still require further cooking later? So if I want to cook it to the highest temperature, with out rendering the sausage, when should it be taken out and dropped into cold water?

I'm confused about this, When hot smoking cured sausage, Is it cooking to be eaten when taken out at 160F or is removing it at that temperature mean it will still require further cooking later? So if I want to cook it to the highest temperature, with out rendering the sausage, when should it be taken out and dropped into cold water?
Your smoking cured sausage with cure 1. You dont want to smoke at a high heat or your fat-out will happen. 160 meat IT for smoked sausage is to high.Your looking for a meat IT of 152-153. Your smoker temps (depending on your smoker type) should not exceed 165-170.

If your smoking high you might as well just bbq it.

Your results may vary from mine.

Reactions: mawil1013
I read it as mawil1013 asking for a "safe" temp!  Maybe read it wrong?  But it is safe once the Pasteurization temp has been achieved for the specified time, correct?  I.E. if it is taken to IT 155 for 17 seconds it will not require further cooking.  If you get there with a smoker temp of 250 all your fat is melted.  If you get there with a smoker temp of 170 & #1 cure all is good.

(this is a question, not a statement.)  My edit!

Last edited:
Your smoking cured sausage with cure 1. You dont want to smoke at a high heat or your fat-out will happen. 160 meat IT for smoked sausage is to high.Your looking for a meat IT of 152-153. Your smoker temps (depending on your smoker type) should not exceed 165-170.

If your smoking high you might as well just bbq it.

Your results may vary from mine.

A later post quotes 155-165, I'll split the difference at 155F! LOL!

Last edited:
A later post quotes 155-165, I'll split the difference at 155F! LOL!

Most that are giving you the 152-153 range have made several thousand pounds of sausage over the years. 155 will work, but I pull from the smoker at 150 and let hang, or I pull at 152 and serve or shower...

Now I always run smoker at 170° and pull sausage at 152-153...Never have an issue with these temps...
Had loads of fat issues at higher cook and internal temps early on...

Your question was answered in the first reply to this thread . Maybe you should go back and re-read it and ignore all the rest . All I'm saying is , if you are going to ask ,,, and an expert on the subject take time to answer , maybe you should listen ?  

Your question was answered in the first reply to this thread . Maybe you should go back and re-read it and ignore all the rest . All I'm saying is , if you are going to ask ,,, and an expert on the subject take time to answer , maybe you should listen ?  

:yeahthat:

Yep, he said it all for sure.

My numbers were just a generalization meaning once you've hit your target it should be safe to eat. I need to be more careful about generalizations.
Nepas & Cranky Buzzard are spot on.
I seen many posting all over the internet basically using all the variables I've seen in this post, found an amazing range of what is considered safe finishing temps in various countries, it boggles the mind!  First and foremost to me is fresh meat, clean work surfaces and tools, keep it all cold! Then use cure for insurance! I pulled mine off last night when internal reached 153 but from observation of sausage after pulling there was zero fat render so it could easily gone hight, if I wasn't impatient !  I appreciate yours and everyones input, mine is the final choice, I take in all info, research online and it's on me then. Web info always requires research and more fact finding, since you don't really personally know who you're dealing with.

I seen many posting all over the internet basically using all the variables I've seen in this post, found an amazing range of what is considered safe finishing temps in various countries, it boggles the mind!  First and foremost to me is fresh meat, clean work surfaces and tools, keep it all cold! Then use cure for insurance! I pulled mine off last night when internal reached 153 but from observation of sausage after pulling there was zero fat render so it could easily gone hight, if I wasn't impatient !  I appreciate yours and everyones input, mine is the final choice, I take in all info, research online and it's on me then. Web info always requires research and more fact finding, since you don't really personally know who you're dealing with.
Smart man! It's like reading the news. You don't really know what to believe so you read as much as you can and make your own decision. I also have seen many and conflicting things on the internet as far as smoking, sausage making and cooking in general. For what it's worth, this is a great site with knowledgeable folks who love to help and are pretty patient with people like me who sometimes post without thinking it through.
Good to hear your cook worked out and it's good to have you on the forum!

Dan

Reactions: mawil1013
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky