What's your sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hungryjohn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
North Georgia mountains
Some like it hot. Some like it sweet. Some like tomato, some like mustard. But the fact that there are several thousand sauce recipes and almost as many bottled sauces indicates that most of us like sauce of some kind on our smoked meat.

So, what's your choice? Do you prefer sauce that is:

1.Tomato based; so sweet that you might think about using it for an ice cream topping.
2.Tomato based; sweet, slightly spicy.
3.Tomato based; tangy, with just a touch of sweetness.
4.Tomato based; spicy, and don't get anything sweet anywhere near it.
5.Tomato based; so hot that when the neighbors tasted it they called 911 to report a fire.
6.Mustard based; kissed on the cheek with cayenne
7.Mustard based; kissed on the mouth with cayenne
8.Mustard based; all that kissing led to seriously hot adult activities
9.Vinegar based; has your taste buds singing about how nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina

My pick is No. 4, but I'm betting that the majority will go with No. 2 or 3.

One of my favorites is called Bone Suckin Sauce - they make several versions but I like the hot one

As far as sauce I like to make my own version. I start with regular tomatoe based sauce and add to it what I don't know till I open the refrig. It's differant everytime. I do like a good vinigar sauce if I can find good recipe the best one I know of I caan't get the recipe until he dies He told me that he will put it in his will. So I just stick with my tomatoe based sauce.

I'd have to go w/ 2.5. Sweet w/ some FIRE!!!
Don't like vinegar based sauces.

I make my own.

One is a sweet/dark sauce - seems ta be the customers favorite.
The other is a vinegar based sauce - it does fairly well, but not as good as the sweet one. I like it better on pulled pork.

Fer ribs, I do a honey/butter glaze an no sauce.

I would be hard pressed to name a favorite. I like the Big Bob Gibson style mayo based sauce on chiken, the S. C. mustard base sauce on pulled pork or a sweet/hot red sauce. I mostly make up my own sauces starting with Cattlemans as a base. But I also try every new sauce that I see in the store that looks like it might be good. The other day I picked up a bottle of ROASTED RASPBERRY CHIPOLE SAUCE at Sam's Club just because I would never have thought of that combo. Wife loved it on pulled chuck roast. I liked it also but think that it is made for ribs. Will try it on ribs tomorrow.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky