Hit me with a nice tangy bbq sauce!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,

I’m trying to find a nice tangy, peppery bbq sauce. Now I don’t mean a finishing sauce for pulled pork, but a tomato based sauce that isn’t so damn sweet. All I find at the store is: Sweet; SuperSweet; Extra Sweet with Chipotle; Extra Super Sweet with extra Honey and Hickory… etc…. The Shed used to make some sauces I liked but they seem to have disappeared. Blues Hog Tennessee Red is decent but I’ve run out of extra kidneys to sell to afford it 🤪

So if you have a recipe that fits the bill and don’t mind sharing, drop it on me! Hot or not, thats easy to adjust.

Thanks,
Aaron

My best reference for a broad range of sauces is this
76693640-1AE7-46F4-AB76-04AE3961BE44.jpeg

It is about $4 on EBay. Not only does it have a huge range of sauces etc, it provides some great explanation for building the flavors you want.

View attachment 674377
It is about $4 on EBay. Not only does it have a huge range of sauces etc, it provides some great explanation for building the flavors you want.
I scored his grilling and smoking book at Goodwill for $2. Would love to score this one too haha. Great resource and source of ideas

Reactions: chp
View attachment 674377

Ordered! Thanks!

Check out these guys. I'be tried their stuff and its pretty good.

Jim
Looks tasty!
Here is a great recent thread about store bought sauce. I'd stay away from anything KC related if you don't like sweet. TX or vinegar based are probably the key words for your search.
I did see that thread, nothing quite tickled my fancy but good info, thanks.
I scored his grilling and smoking book at Goodwill for $2. Would love to score this one too haha. Great resource and source of ideas
Nice! I was impatient and paid a lil more 🙃

Reactions: jcam222 and chp
Are you looking for recipes, bottled or doesnt matter.

Aaron Franklin's standard sauce has a nice tang to it but lends a lil better for beef due to the cumin in it, but that has a nice tang. I make it when Im out.

For bottled I like Lillie' Q Western Carolina, can find it at Walmart, not sure which grocery stores you have near you, but can find it in Publix and Harris Teeter around here

You're seeing the mobile version. If you have a android in the bottom right corner of screen. You should see three bars. Click that and choose desktop site.
iphone, cant seem to find the option, oh well, I’ll look from my desktop

Are you looking for recipes, bottled or doesnt matter.

Aaron Franklin's standard sauce has a nice tang to it but lends a lil better for beef due to the cumin in it, but that has a nice tang. I make it when Im out.

For bottled I like Lillie' Q Western Carolina, can find it at Walmart, not sure which grocery stores you have near you, but can find it in Publix and Harris Teeter around here

Kinda both, thnx for your insights

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Tldr;

Take whatever of the store bought sweet with sweet and chipotle honey smurfberry flavor you like the MOST - and do this.

Pour the entire bottle into a saucepan. If it's a 16 oz bottle, add 4 oz apple cider vinegar and both ground black and red pepper flake to taste. That's a 4-1 ratio of prepared sauce to ACV.

You can reduce it SLOWLY to the thickness desired and I also personally add a little yellow mustard - like French's

It'll tang your a$$ off. If it doesn't, add a little more apple cider vinegar.

Reactions: Nefarious
I've become a fan of Carolina style sauces that are more mustard/vinegar forward, and not sweet like most tomato based sauces.

Reactions: Danblacksher
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky