Whats your favorit scotch, rye, whisky or burbon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
IMHO. Bourbon and Rye

Bulleit makes a great Bourbon and Rye. Their bourbon has a high rye content which i like a lot. Two Fingers...two ice cubes and a good cigar = Awesome way to end the day!

Blanton's

Buffalo Trace

I had some High West Double Rye this past weekend and it was really good, too.

The Bulleit 10 yr is OFF THE HOOK!

Scotch = Royal Salute when I can afford it or special occasions, Pinch for the cabinet.

Whiskey = Makers Mark

I saw someone already mentioned it but Glenmorangie is my go to Scotch.  If you can pay a few extra dollars get their 18 year old.  It is the most reasonable 18 year old scotch I've seen and more than worth the money.  They also have one aged in Port wine barrels which is pretty nice.

My favorite is Rowans creek Kentucky bourban whiskey. Has been aged in charred oak barrels these are hand crafted. I recently used it in the slaughter house spritz recipe for my spatchcock chicken last weekend. Came out great!! Time for another bottle.

Last edited:
Well I have a new favorite...  Balvenie 12 yr. Single Malt Scotch.  Stuff is delicious...  and harmful to my wallet at $59.99 per 750ml.  Just bought a bottle last night and plan to make that sucker last.

Gosh dang if I didnt find another one to compete.......This stuff is smooooooth. Mr. Henderson knew what he was brewing!

Angels Envy...the idea being that if the devil got his 10% cut during distillation...the Angels get the 5% loss during aging. This is fine Kentucky Bourbon aged in Port barrels and it is all kinds of fine! 
Yeah, it's empty already, be another couple days at $50 a bottle before I refill.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Davy Crockett's Salted Caramel Whiskey. Down fall is you can only purchase it in Gatlinburg, Tn. Ole' Smoky Charred Moonshine is pretty darn good too!

My wife bought me a "whisky glass" and a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta scotch for Valentine's Day.  See picture below.  She was telling me things about drinking whisky she'd learned from the guy at the liquor store I'd never heard before.  The guy recommended I look online to see how to use the glass to best enjoy the whisky.  I smiled and thought "no way can a glass make that much difference."  I was wrong.  I haven't opened the bottle of Lasanta yet but I tasted flavors in the Glenmorangie Original, Van Winkle Special Reserve, and Makers Mark I'd never tasted before.  I've also never added water to whisky before but adding just a tiny bit made a favorably noticeable difference in aroma and taste, not huge but noticeable.

Glenmorangie is Gaelic for "Glen of Tranquility."  Good name.  After playing with the glass last evening, I was quite tranquil.

The right glass with any drink can make a big difference. On business in Australia about 10 years ago there was a Belgium beer bar close to my hoyel that I spent a lot of time in. Tried several beers in the correct glass for the style against other glasses and ir was amazing.

Sam Adams isn't just marketing with the glasses and now they even have a custom made can (which they are giving the design away to other breweries) to help the taste of beer out of a can.

And my best burbon for the price point is wooford reserve. Favorite mixing burbon is wild trukey. 10 year Old Charter is also damn good for the money

I hear you guys on the glass making all the difference. I ordered some special IPA glasses that were designed in Germany. The name is Spiegelau and I believe Dogfish Brewery has them for sale on their website. (Sorry, I'd post a pic but the filters on my work computer strip out just about everything except this box to type in) The glasses really work and help keep the beer cold longer and promote continuous head formation while you drink. It's pretty amazing.

For you Scotch drinkers you should check out www.ralfy.com i love watching his scotch reviews. Some of the stuff he reviews we cant get here in the states but i have been turned on to some wonderful pours because of him.

I bought my first Glen Cairn glass because of him and i havent turned back.

Scott
Yeah, I've been watching his videos for the past couple years. He's a hoot!

The bottle of Templeton Rye reminded me.  I like rye'd bourbon, not wheat'ed bourbon (Makers Mark) so I thought I'd try some rye whiskey.  I bought a bottle of Templeton Rye since it's the only rye whiskey COSTCO carries (at least in my area).  Pretty good stuff but not worth the nearly $30 for a 750 ml bottle, IMHO.

What are some other reasonably priced rye whiskeys you recommend for someone new to them?

The bottle of Templeton Rye reminded me.  I like rye'd bourbon, not wheat'ed bourbon (Makers Mark) so I thought I'd try some rye whiskey.  I bought a bottle of Templeton Rye since it's the only rye whiskey COSTCO carries (at least in my area).  Pretty good stuff but not worth the nearly $30 for a 750 ml bottle, IMHO.

What are some other reasonably priced rye whiskeys you recommend for someone new to them?
Believe it or not, Wild Turkey makes an excellent Rye 101 proof. Especially for the money.

Pendleton makes a very smooth rye, and is a good value.

Also, Rittenhouse makes one of the best (imo), and you can usually find it for $20-$25.

bulleit and makers mark for me

not much of a scotch drinker think most of it tastes like antiseptic lol

For some reason, I can't gag down scotch, and I have some unopened bottles on hand. Anyone around Columbus want to trade 1:1 for bourbon?

I have a George Dickel Rye on the shelf now, nice basic stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky