old fashioned fire starter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I've been consumed with using my new Smokey Joe 14 for whipping up steaks, as its small and easy and doesn't take but a handful of briquettes to burn a couple steaks. Mama likes the little fill-ay min-yons( I don't) and I can pick up 8oz pairs at the latin meat market. Figured a good time to give my new Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq INT-11p-b wireless therm a second chance (IMHO it failed again miserably) . I was rummaging thru the garage trying to make more room for the 4-wheel buggy and found an old electric coal starter. Thought it might be fun to see if it would work on a double handful of briquettes. I was happily surprised. no tripped breakers or fires, other than the coals.
Steaks were fork tender but too lean for me. IMG_4831.jpg

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Sorry the IB isnt working properly, pretty sure they have a warranty, love my SJ,

I actually use one of those with a chimney, I put a couple of layers of briquettes or lump in and then stick the electric starter in and fill with whichever I’m using. About 5-10 minutes and pull the electric and let the charcoal finish lighting off. I’ve never had any luck using a chimney with newspaper or paper in general.

Myself, I have used a chimney (replaced a couple times) with a single sheet of waded newspaper for close to 40 years. Occasionally the charcoal will have collected moisture and it will be a little slow starting, putting off a lot of steam at first. We all have our own ways of doing things that work best for us.

Reactions: Cattoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky