What the heck am I doing?!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

siegelscott

Original poster
May 23, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi everyone!  I'm Scott and I've visited these forums too many times to count but I finally joined and put my first post up today.  I live in Charlotte, NC - and my neighbors feel pretty strongly about our state's claim to the "BBQ" but I am a transplant originally from NYC trying to educate myself here on smoking food and in particular making jerky on a smoker.

I've tinkered for the past year or two with a store bought smoker that I've cut up and refashioned to give me the most bang for my time and buck.  But finally, I decided to do a custom build and make my own smoker.  That was the topic of my first post here.  I made it from an old server cabinet (the computer kind, not a buffet server) and it is designed to hold almost 4 times the amount of sliced beef, if you can believe it.

Anyway, I am very glad to be here and to finally have a voice on the boards.  I hope you have a lot of constructive advice for a newbie who is lost and trying to get an education in a city and state where there really isnt a lot of patience for bad BBQ.

Thanks!

Scott

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Rules.gif

Welcome Scott and enjoy the learning process.  Best advice is to make a friend who is willing to be your taste tester. They cannot be family and must be willing to give honest feedback and you need to be able to accept what they say.  Good luck!

John

Hello Scott and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad to have you here 

Please do us a favor and update your profile with your location 

Thanks all!  I appreciate the warm welcome.  I have lots of pics of my smoker, but I haven't got any batches of meat done on it yet as its really just finally coming together.  You are welcome to check out these pics until I have some of the actual product:

43c43ad9_IMG_8281-768x1024.jpg

425cf8c4_IMG_8278-1024x768.jpg

0d5fb764_IMG_8316-1024x768.jpg

6c13d896_IMG_8190-768x1024.jpg

for anyone interested in the step-by-step version of the build,  I have a post on it located here on SMF.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky