What should I use to remove rust from the grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobariel

Original poster
Jun 28, 2021
Guys I recently bought a gas grill but I am planning for fun on restoring my old charcoal grill. What's the best thing I could use to remove rust? I want to paint it afterwards. I will be painting only the outside of course.
I looked up Rust Oleum high heat paint and some rust remover sprays but thought I'd ask here for guidance.

Reactions: JLeonard
Be careful using a wire wheel . I know it's a go to thing , but dissimilar metals can cause it to rust faster than normal . Causes galvanic corrosion or something like that .
Had a good buddy that owned a body shop . That's where I first heard of it .
I use sanding sponges from Lowes , or they sell a silicone carbide wheel that works pretty good .
Not saying the wire wheel won't work , but just a heads up .

Be careful using a wire wheel . I know it's a go to thing , but dissimilar metals can cause it to rust faster than normal . Causes galvanic corrosion or something like that .
Had a good buddy that owned a body shop . That's where I first heard of it .
I use sanding sponges from Lowes , or they sell a silicone carbide wheel that works pretty good .
Not saying the wire wheel won't work , but just a heads up .
You can use a wire wheel it is your more desirable choice. Galvanic Corrosion only occurs over time when 2 dissimilar metals are in contact with one another over a period of time you also need moisture involved. Not to get to technical but the degree of time is based on a nobility chart. The closer together on the chart not much galvanic action (steel / iron) the further apart on the chart the higher degree of reaction (steel /lead)
This is based on my years as a tech rep for a major paint manufacture.
Wire brush, wipe it down with solvent and get paint on it quickly.

Reactions: jacobariel
Screw wire wheeling unless you absolutely have to.
If you can get your hands on a 20gallon compressor or larger, buy one of these, they are cheap and come in handy.

Reactions: PPG1
Harbor freight sells a biodegradable liquid that consumes rust.
It's called Evapo-Rust and really works.
It's a harmless enzyme, you can soak your hands in it with no negative effect.
It WILL eat all rust and leave paint and plastic and anything that's not rust alone.
Use a brush to apply and dip a scrubber in it and rub away.
Rinse with water to remove residue but you can leave it on and it dries to a sticky film.
After rinsing you have to be ready to paint as soon as the metal dries or skin rust will start to form right away.
It's meant for dipping badly rusted parts but can be used any way you need.

Gator wheel on a corded drill or 4 in angle grinder ....they are magic on paint and light rust

Reactions: chopsaw
I agree . I think Gator is a brand name . I have some that go in a drill motor .
Don't have to worry about soft metal residue left behind .

Yes Gator is the brand name, there are others and I even believe HF has a version of them them as well. I like the drill motor ones on a variable speed drill so you can get in to tight places. For larger areas and more aggressive the one for the 4" AG is the ticket.....
gatorwheel.PNG

Reactions: chopsaw
I don’t know how bad the rust is, but I spray the outside of my Lang with WD-40 & the rust just disappears . I guess if it’s really thick then a wire brush would be a good choice, but I would still use WD-40. I use it in my firebox too, just don’t spray it into the main cooking chamber.
Al

Here is a pic. I'm listening to everyone's suggestions. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210707_103035.jpg
    20210707_103035.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210707_103041.jpg
    20210707_103041.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 19
If it was me, I would just use the gator wheel and spray some high temp BBQ on it.....oh and nothin to worry about, just a little maintenance...

Edit, as Al said just keep any future spots rubbed down with oil WD as he said....I wipe any areas with grape seed oil.....that will keep it clean and rust free

Reactions: jacobariel
After I applied Goo Gone degreaser that worked beautifully on the grease I noticed some areas inside the grill had lost some of the paint that was underneath the grease. Since the inside should not be painted is it ok to grill with some of the missing factory paint?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky