Aloha from Oahu!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Hawaii
New Member here. Been browsing for a while after web searches. My Name is Sean and I live on Oahu, Hawaii. Been smoking a bit for years. Have a gas grill with a smoker box that I have messed around with. Then I got a Chargriller Acorn which I have had some fun with but always wanted an offset. Finally bought a Chargriller Grand Camp XD a month or so ago. It was in my budget and in Hawaii we are limited to what is available plus Home Depot shipped it here for free, big plus!! Would love a fully welded offset but shipping to here is Crazy. Have done some good mods that I have seen on YT and have been having fun with it! Couple good smokes and couple that were alright but not great. Also buying wood here is pricey if you get it from box stores but I can get a great supply of Kiawe for very reasonable prices. Picked up 250 lbs for $100 recently and very stoked with that. Kiawe is very a very dense wood and I have been working through how to get it to where it ignites quickly. Sorry for the ramble and Just wanted to say What's Up and that I have already got some great info from this site!!

Aloha,

Sean

Glad to have you, Sean, this is a great place to learn and to share. Looking forward to seeing, with 'seeing' being the key word because we love pictures, what you can do...:emoji_grinning:

Reactions: Redicans
Howzit braddah! :emoji_call_me: :emoji_sunglasses:

Kiawe is a mesquite cousin so it should do good for you along the lines of other mesquite smoked recipes.

Maaaannnn I miss me some plate lunch big time!

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I lived in Kailua Village for two years, 65 years ago. Imagine things have changed some. RAY

Howzit braddah! :emoji_call_me: :emoji_sunglasses:

Kiawe is a mesquite cousin so it should do good for you along the lines of other mesquite smoked recipes.

Maaaannnn I miss me some plate lunch big time!
Howzit Braddah, Love it!! Been doing Imu's for years and always use Kiawe!! Smoking is a bit different with the Kiawe and I am enjoying the learning curve.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I lived in Kailua Village for two years, 65 years ago. Imagine things have changed some. RAY
That was a long time ago Hahaha! Very Cool!! Yes things have changed quite a bit!! Thanks for the welcome Ray!!

Welcome Sean. I am in So Cal and have spent a lot of time relaxing and eating great food in Hawaii. Kaiwe wood is close to mesquite here in the mainland. I try my best to replicate what I can from my time there like huli huli chicken and your best macaroni salad.

Sounds like you're having a blast experimenting with smoking on different grills. Btw would like to know about your experience on Oahu's stunning coastline? Would be visiting in next 2 months ;)

Yes Oahu has some of the most stunning coastlines. Sounds like you will be here when winter swells will be in full swing so definitely check out the North Shore. Also the south east corner of the island is amazing!! Makapuu to Kokohead! Some amazingly beautiful area.

I'll be in Hawaii from 11/30 to 12/3.
Really looking forward to it, as temp here just dropped from upper 50's to low 40's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky