What kind of maple?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I was hoping you guys could help. My neighbor has this maple tree and had it trimmed last year and still has a bunch of logs already cut and seasoned from it. I don’t know what type of maple it is. I know sugar maple and some other types of maple are good to smoke with. I’m just hoping I can get an ID in this. Sorry the pics aren’t great. It has some vines growing around it so I know that makes it a little harder to ID. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• 8ECC92C8-7C45-4934-8F93-37F222B191DC.jpeg
    8ECC92C8-7C45-4934-8F93-37F222B191DC.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 131
  • 3852853A-47FD-4B02-83E7-2329CD13CFD9.jpeg
    3852853A-47FD-4B02-83E7-2329CD13CFD9.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 136
  • E29D9EA4-AFB6-42B7-803E-FB93F2EB083F.jpeg
    E29D9EA4-AFB6-42B7-803E-FB93F2EB083F.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 116
I was hoping you guys could help. My neighbor has this maple tree and had it trimmed last year and still has a bunch of logs already cut and seasoned from it. I don’t know what type of maple it is. I know sugar maple and some other types of maple are good to smoke with. I’m just hoping I can get an ID in this. Sorry the pics aren’t great. It has some vines growing around it so I know that makes it a little harder to ID. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Looks like a silver maple. Don’t know if it’s good for smoking. How does it smell?

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this. I’m going to guess silver maple now that I have some leaves off it. They are dark green on top, silvery green on the bottom, 5 lobes with jagged ridges on each lobe. Let me know your opinions. I could be mistaken.

9D7EB661-6EBB-4399-A9EC-D6D867DE20AB.jpeg 1DF10A64-99BF-4622-8902-D0187901884D.jpeg

Any Hardwood Maple is Great for Smoking.

If those vines are "Poison Oak", make sure you don't smoke with that. I wouldn't handle it too much either.
I never got Poison Ivy, but I've gotten poison Oak more than my share, from climbing trees in Archery season!!!

Bear

Said it above , big leaf maples are soft wood . That is a soft wood maple . Me ,,, I would not smoke with it , others would .

Chop, you're confused. In standard forestry nomenclature, softwoods are defined as being conifers while hardwoods are broadleaf, often deciduous, flowering trees. Some conifers are harder than some "hardwood" species. Hardness is measured by the amount of pounds required to press a steel ball (.444" dia) into the wood to half the ball’s diameter. This number is given for wood that has been dried to a 12% moisture content. And the old adage that the best hardwoods for smoking meat are those that produce edible fruit is a myth. Do you know anybody who eats acorns? Or maple samaras (the botanical name of the fruit of all maples)?

Last edited:
If u got some seasoned ready to burn just try 1 cook with it with small amount of meat. Chicken thighs or 1 rack of ribs. Give it a try and report back. There’s a lot of different spices of maple by me so I just stopped getting the maple and go for other woods. I’ve got plenty of maple and I use it for outdoor bonfire cooking, works great! I tried some in the smoker once and meat tasted good! But though it was really a mild smoke flavor

Reactions: Supertrucker
Chop, you're confused. In standard forestry nomenclature, softwoods are defined as being conifers while hardwoods are broadleaf,

Yes I understand that . In the area I live it is common to refer to maples as hard and soft depending on the size of the leaf . That's why I said " soft wood maple "

If u got some seasoned ready to burn just try 1 cook with it with small amount of meat. Chicken thighs or 1 rack of ribs. Give it a try and report back. There’s a lot of different spices of maple by me so I just stopped getting the maple and go for other woods. I’ve got plenty of maple and I use it for outdoor bonfire cooking, works great! I tried some in the smoker once and meat tasted good! But though it was really a mild smoke flavor
That is good idea. Though, I would use some cheap hot dogs instead...that's just me being me.

Chop, I have a good friend who is a retired forester, living in Hannibal. He always referred to hard maples or soft maples. Drove me nuts because I never knew what species he was talking about. I am a botanist and prefer to use scientific names to avoid confusion. Turns out that his hard maple is Sugar Maple and soft maple is Red Maple. Yeah, one is harder than the other, but they are both hardwoods.

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
I agree with you . Just habit for me because that's how it's thought of here . Thanks .

Maybe ,,,

Could be a PA thing .

I think it comes from wood working / cabinet shop mind set .

I think that's true.
The one that confuses most people is the wood I used for paint grade cabinets or when I built cabinet frames to be laminated.
That would be Poplar---Which is actually a "Soft" Hardwood. We used it for those kinds of cabinets, because it was virtually "Knot-Free", and was great for milling.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky