What is the ideal damper opening to get heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheMeat

Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Hey,
First time poster so please be gentle.

I just purchased a Smoke Canyon vertical smoker with side mounted firebox. I put a chimney of charcoal in the box and I have the box vent all the way open with the chimney vent 1/2 way closed. I can not seem to get above 175 degrees. The firebox is really hot but the cooking area is not getting hot enough. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with that smoker but is the 175 on a built in thermometer. If so check with secondary thermometer. Your probably hot in the cooker it's just most built in thermometer are not very high quality.

Welcome to SMF!

I doubt one chimney full is going to get you up to temp in a large smoker like that. I start mine with a chimney of charcoal, but add two to four wrist sized splits of hardwood and add more every 45 minutes to an hour. I run the stack wide open and adjust the air intake in the firebox for the desired heat. Mine runs comfortably and with very little fuss at 275° give or take 10 degrees. It's when I try to cook at 225-230° that it becomes a pain to regulate. Even then, the stack is wide open

I'm the same as radio, my smoker likes to run around 270-280. It will stay there all day.
But as he said bringing it down to 225 requires constant babysitting.
Either way my stack is always wide open.
Al

Thank you for the replies. I tried some lump coal, which I found easily falls through the bottom of my chimney, but that's a whole different story... I got it up to 225 and it held for a while. I just had to pile it in there to start it up. I think I am on the right path now, thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky