ATC on an OK Joe Longhorn Reverse Flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WarrenWood

Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
Hot Springs Village, AR
Hello, all!

I bought an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn reverse flow smoker a couple of years ago. I've used it about 2x a month since, using locally sourced white oak. The results for brisket and pork shoulder are fantastic, but I have issues with temperature control, and my chicken and ribs are not good. My problem is keeping the temp steady.

I can easily get into the range I want (275) using a chimney of KBB to create a coal bed, but as the splits burn I get wide temp swings from 225 - 325. I'm running with the firebox door closed, exhaust flue 100% open. I've tried a steel extension to the flue as well. But I'm constantly fiddling with the vent opening to keep the temp stable. At this point I'm ready to sell it and go back to my Weber Smokey Mountain.

So, I'm considering an ATC and blower. (And that's the purpose of this thread, respectfully, not to try and advise new ways to run the firebox.) Has anybody found an ATC/blower combo that works with the larger Longhorn?

Thanks!

Hello, all!

I bought an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn reverse flow smoker a couple of years ago. I've used it about 2x a month since, using locally sourced white oak. The results for brisket and pork shoulder are fantastic, but I have issues with temperature control, and my chicken and ribs are not good. My problem is keeping the temp steady.

I can easily get into the range I want (275) using a chimney of KBB to create a coal bed, but as the splits burn I get wide temp swings from 225 - 325. I'm running with the firebox door closed, exhaust flue 100% open. I've tried a steel extension to the flue as well. But I'm constantly fiddling with the vent opening to keep the temp stable. At this point I'm ready to sell it and go back to my Weber Smokey Mountain.

So, I'm considering an ATC and blower. (And that's the purpose of this thread, respectfully, not to try and advise new ways to run the firebox.) Has anybody found an ATC/blower combo that works with the larger Longhorn?

Thanks!
wish i could help. But alas, i bought the same stick burner about 3 years ago. did all the mods.
did bout three smokes with the same results/idiocyncracies .finally after years on here bought a WSM and am so in love. it took me almost a month to sell the
OKJ for only $250. I'm down Miami way so there is a language/intelligence factor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky