What is Andouille?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuck white

Original poster
I received this quote from another group and I asked what (Andouille) is but haven't received an answer.  Can anyone tell me?

"I do lots of sausage making myself and use a propane Rocky Mountain smoker. My favorite sausage to make is andouille with bratwurst making a close second."

Andouille sausage is a classical Louisiana smoked sausage which is used in meals like gumbo or jambalaya.

The regional cooking style known as Cajun employs many hot spices and vegetables and is famous for its original sausages: Andouille, Boudain, Chaurice (local version of Spanish chorizo) or Tasso (smoked butt).

It is not easy to come up with a universal Andouille sausage recipe.

Some recipes include dry red wine, others bay leaves, allspice, sage, paprika, crushed red peppers, sugar, onion powder, pequin pepper, mace, nutmeg, sage, ancho chili, file powder etc...

So which one is the real Andouille Sausage?

As nearly all recipes agree on the following ingredients: pork butt, salt, cracked pepper, garlic, thyme and cayenne pepper, we have decided to keep it simple and to include only those mentioned and nothing else.

But please feel free to improvise and include any spices that you like.
Source

It really depends on who you ask. Some around here only consider it andouille if it's sausage stuffed with chitterlings. I make andouille that's very coarse pork sausage with plenty of spices used in cajun cooking.

To me, andouille is absolutely the best sausage flavor there is....  Of course I haven't tasted boykjo's kielbasa....  or nepas'.... or fpnmf's... or.... or..... or..... etc.... but I do know, garlic makes all sausage better.... 

To me Andouille has more of a dry texture than Brats.  I love it and have Cajun roots myself.  Tasso is what I use for seasonings beans and such.  Similar to fat back or salt pork.

As soon as I make the Andouille Sausage, I have to try your TASSO, ANDOUILLE & SHRIMP JAMBALAYA Recipe.

Sure Sounds Good

Ingredients: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1/2 cup finely chopped celery 10 oz. Savoie's[emoji]174[/emoji] pork tasso, thinly sliced 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste 4 cups water, in all 1 lb. Savoie's[emoji]174[/emoji] andouille, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 lb. medium shrimp (30 to 35 count) peeled & de-veined 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion 6 cups cooked rice 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions Steps: In a 5-quart pot, heat oil over high heat until very hot. Add tasso and andouille; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Cook and stir continually for 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and 3 cups of the water; cook and stir often about 15 minutes or until all meat is tender. Add remaining water and shrimp; reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 minutes stirring often to prevent from sticking. Add green onions and cooked rice; stir well to mix. Let set for 5 minutes for flavor to marry. Sodium Erythorbate, sodium nitrite). Contains soy and milk ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky