What generation is this Cabela's MES? $99

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can anyone tell what generation this MES 30 is?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-Digital-Smoker-with-Pewter-Door/825793330

It has the vent on the top right. It appears to have the 2.5 internals (the multi level drip pan). It did not come with a remote. The supports for the grates are stamped into the side wall. It only comes with 3 grates but has supports for 4. Here's the same model but with a black door:

I hope this is a good model, because i just picked one up at my local walmart for $50!

That is a "Hybrid", with the Gen #1 exterior, and the Gen #2.5 Interior.
Were it not for the top vent being on the right side, I would say that would be the Best one of all, because it is RF instead of Bluetooth.
The only thing bad about it is the top vent is on the right, but it's not as big a problem on the MES 30 as it would be on the MES 40.
The vent being on the right side, if it presents a problem can be dealt with.

The only other thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have the Window in the Door, but that's just me---I'm spoiled after 7 years with windows. I wouldn't want to go back to a Non-window MES.

Bear

Can anyone tell what generation this MES 30 is?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-Digital-Smoker-with-Pewter-Door/825793330

It has the vent on the top right. It appears to have the 2.5 internals (the multi level drip pan). It did not come with a remote. The supports for the grates are stamped into the side wall. It only comes with 3 grates but has supports for 4. Here's the same model but with a black door:

I hope this is a good model, because i just picked one up at my local walmart for $50!
I'd call MB and say you received only three racks out of four.
-Kurt

Looks exactly like mine except the silver door and 1 less rack. I actually called Masterbuilt and YES someone answered and took the time to confirm for me but looks Gen1 to me. $50?! Great deal. Be sure and get an AMNPS for it.

Can I buy a remote from Masterbuilt and worth it?
I'd call MB. Maybe controllers with light and meat probe buttons pair to a remote.
-Kurt

That is a "Hybrid", with the Gen #1 exterior, and the Gen #2.5 Interior.

Bear

I did my first smoke today with my Hybrid MES 30, and discovered that the 5x8 AMAZEN does NOT fit in the bottom left spot like in other MES 30 models.

My options now are: 1 - to put it at an angle. 2 - to put it on top of the heat shield, but then i can't fit the tray. 3 - put it on the bottom rack which means i lose 1 rack. Any suggestions?

Really bummed that it doesn't fit. I should have probably measured before hand, but i just assumed the tray would fit in all the MES 30s.

Here are some pics

IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG

I did my first smoke today with my Hybrid MES 30, and discovered that the 5x8 AMAZEN does NOT fit in the bottom left spot like in other MES 30 models.

My options now are: 1 - to put it at an angle. 2 - to put it on top of the heat shield, but then i can't fit the tray. 3 - put it on the bottom rack which means i lose 1 rack. Any suggestions?

Really bummed that it doesn't fit. I should have probably measured before hand, but i just assumed the tray would fit in all the MES 30s.

Here are some pics

Yeah, I figured that. It only fits there in a Gen #1, on top of the Support Bars.
It was actually designed to fit on the support rods of the Gen #1.
Your interior is the same as the interior of an MES 30 Gen #2.5, so you aren't losing anything important.
Your best place is the same as in my MES 40 Gen #2.5, which is on the right end of the bottom rack.
Then you can pull the dumper out 2 or 3" for air flow to the AMNPS, and push it back in for less air.
I never use the bottom rack anyway, because it's too close to the Heating Element.

Bear

Last edited:
I did my first smoke today with my Hybrid MES 3c0, and discovered that the 5x8 AMAZEN does NOT fit in the bottom left spot like in other MES 30 models.

I've been using the Amazen tubes.I will use two of them if I'm going to be doing a long smoke,the only drawback is that you must open the door to replace the first one but the time the door spends open is minimal and what little heat is lost is recovered quickly as the MES is so well insulated.

Many have complained the tubes roll around...I just use a couple of small exhaust style c-clamps on the tube,this will allow for air to get underneath the tube and will certainly keep the tube from moving.

I've only had my MES 30 since black friday but I've been using/experimenting with it constantly.

Last edited:
Just realized that I never updated this thread and my smoker is a hybrid too and does not fit the AMNPS either. I tried a few things but think I will stack 3 bricks on the left and place AMNPS on top. I am a big fan of thermal mass...

Just realized that I never updated this thread and my smoker is a hybrid too and does not fit the AMNPS either. I tried a few things but think I will stack 3 bricks on the left and place AMNPS on top. I am a big fan of thermal mass...

Thermal mass there is fine, but putting the AMNPS on top of Bricks doesn't give you air flow to it.
The best place to put it is what I said above, in post #26.

Bear

I saw a video of a gen 2.5 40 that was way overloaded with wood chips and you couldn't see anything through the window from all the dense smoke. What it did reveal was the open design of the chip housing compared to the gen 1, with the top rising to the right wall, the air coming in the chip loader was shooting straight up the right wall. So the right side has a lot of air rising for the Amnps.
-Kurt

Hello all, first time posting here (I will do roll-call shortly).

I am looking at a similar MES on sale here in Canada.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/9889...tlink&utm_campaign=Custom+Link&utm_content=NA

I know it is the hybrid but my concern is the vent being on the "wrong side". Bear, you mention it can be "dealt with", how does one do that? I searched a fair bit around here but didn't find mention regarding ways around the vent location issue (sorry if I missed it).

Given the model I am looking at is 199 and it also includes the 2 bonus accessory racks, I want to jump on it, but I fear the vent being on the wrong side will be more hassle than waiting on a full gen 2.5 with the vent on the other side. I'd also like to maybe wait to get a 40 inch model, but this price and bonus racks make it really hard to pass up.

I am coming from a Bradley that was chronically under-powered and I am not the most handy with electrical stuff so never got around to wiring up a PID or second element. I plan on running the Amazen tube since I don't often go for big long smokes. Thanks in advance for the feedback, cheers
151910-213728.jpg

With the 30" it doesn't really matter what side the top vent is on because it's smaller than the 40" so the element is more in the center than the 40". The heating element housing is more open in your pic, letting heat out more freely than the standard gen 1 chip housing. This should be just fine if you want a small 30".

Reactions: Thundamonkey
With the 30" it doesn't really matter what side the top vent is on because it's smaller than the 40" so the element is more in the center than the 40". The heating element housing is more open in your pic, letting heat out more freely than the standard gen 1 chip housing. This should be just fine if you want a small 30".

Thank you for your reply. I can see the 30 inch having less of an issue for heat swings, but I wasn't sure how big of an issue it'd be given the element, the smoker tube, and the vent will all be on the same side.

I'd love to go with the 40 inch version but they are exceptionally hard to find in Canada (gen 2.5s anyways) and this 30 inch with the bonus racks is mighty appealing.

That may be true with other generations, but even though there is less problem of heat balance, I still needed a Heat deflector in my Gen #1 MES 30.
That was the only MES 30 I had. No problem with the MES 30 Gen #2.5 ????
I never studied them, because to me they're too small.

Bear

That may be true with other generations, but even though there is less problem of heat balance, I still needed a Heat deflector in my Gen #1 MES 30.
That was the only MES 30 I had. No problem with the MES 30 Gen #2.5 ????
I never studied them, because to me they're too small.

Bear
Thank you Bear,

I am hoping that the difference in design will help offset the heat spread in the box, although a heatshield is a feasible thing to install if it doesn't. I am already going to go up in size from the Bradley 4 rack (573 sq in to 721 I think) so that will help, but since I can't even find a retailer for the 2.5 40 inch models I fear I will have to do with this. I tried calling Masterbuilt directly but was on hold for 28 minutes and gave up lol.

I fear Bear might be a bit of a perfectionist about the vent issue but then again he IS giving his expert opinion... Even with the problem of the vent location I am easily producing the best TBS and consistent temps I ever had in 20 years fooling with charcoal and propane. His point is well taken but I think many could live with it or later mod if need be. Remember the tubes are for higher temps and AMNPS for lower temps/more ideal for MES. I was dead set on a tube until I researched but so happy I went with the tray/AMNPS.

I fear Bear might be a bit of a perfectionist about the vent issue but then again he IS giving his expert opinion... Even with the problem of the vent location I am easily producing the best TBS and consistent temps I ever had in 20 years fooling with charcoal and propane. His point is well taken but I think many could live with it or later mod if need be. Remember the tubes are for higher temps and AMNPS for lower temps/more ideal for MES. I was dead set on a tube until I researched but so happy I went with the tray/AMNPS.
Thanks for that,

I can appreciate being a perfectionist, but given I am a weekend warrior, this MES 30 may be a good fit for me.

Conversely, I was just looking around at the US retailers for the 40 inch models and stumbled upon the Cabela's exclusive MES 40. Comes with the 6 racks included and is on sale for 279. Given it's also free shipping to a border crossing company, I'd be into it for about 400 when the smoke settles. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BY-MB-BLACK-SMOKER-W-BT/1934608.uts?slotId=11

Given the Cabela's version comes with a lifetime warranty, that helps regarding peace of mind. I've been thinking a lot about this back and forth and I think the 30, with the bonus racks, is an adequate size for me. But....I love the idea of having the larger element and the extra space with a lifetime warranty for less than 200 more. Hmmmm....

Thoughts?

Thanks for that,

I can appreciate being a perfectionist, but given I am a weekend warrior, this MES 30 may be a good fit for me.

Conversely, I was just looking around at the US retailers for the 40 inch models and stumbled upon the Cabela's exclusive MES 40. Comes with the 6 racks included and is on sale for 279. Given it's also free shipping to a border crossing company, I'd be into it for about 400 when the smoke settles. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BY-MB-BLACK-SMOKER-W-BT/1934608.uts?slotId=11

Given the Cabela's version comes with a lifetime warranty, that helps regarding peace of mind. I've been thinking a lot about this back and forth and I think the 30, with the bonus racks, is an adequate size for me. But....I love the idea of having the larger element and the extra space with a lifetime warranty for less than 200 more. Hmmmm....

Thoughts?

That's a good one (Gen #2.5) as long as you're OK with no window.
I'm spoiled from 8 years of having a window, so I wouldn't want it, but it is a good model.

Bear

Actually the Tube is for Higher Altitudes, and the AMNPS "Tray" is for low altitudes.
They are both good for any temp below 275°.

The AMNS is only for Dust & only good for below about 220°.

Bear

That's a good one (Gen #2.5) as long as you're OK with no window.
I'm spoiled from 8 years of having a window, so I wouldn't want it, but it is a good model.

Bear
I am very much tempted and have no issues lacking a window, it's just getting the big bugger here that will be the issue lol. I do love the size though.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky