what do i have here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newflame

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Holdrege, NE
just wondering if this is a flat or packer, sorry about the poor pictures, cell phone camera, I'm not rubbing until friday or i would unwrap it, any trained eye that can tell would be much appreciated! (the guy at the butcher said it was a whole brisket, but didn't seem to sure about it.)

thanks for the help

Judging from the weight alone, I'd say just a flat...I can't imagine a packer being that light on weight...smallest I've ever seen is 10+ lbs. If you can post a side view would be easier to tell for sure, but it's either an average sized flat or a decent sized point.

OK, if one end is noticeably thicker, and there appears to be only one main muscle, then it's a point. If you can see a fat layer separating two muscles from a side view, then it's a packer. If it's relatively flat, then it would have to be the flat only.

Looking back at the first pic again, the shape is telling me it's a packer. Cute lil' fella for sure!

Happy smokes!

Eric

It looks like a packer to me. By the pics, it looks like the pointy end is a tad thicker and I think I see one of the "corns" in the top left portion in the third pic. The corn is a gnarly, tough and thick hunk of fat ont the point of the brisket..Small steer, small brisket..

They sure are proud of that brisket for the price...

Well looking at your Qview I would have to agree with Eric on this one and say that you have a flat on your hands. But it's hard to tell it looks like you have a full and complete fat cap. Maybe a side pic would tell alittle more.

I think the animal that meat came from was sick because that is THE smallest packer I have ever seen. And it is funny because I have seen lots of them, just never been brave enough to cook one, let alone know that it was made up from a "Flat" & "Point". Heck, I still have yet to do a full packer. I agree with Eric. Flat. Even the guy at the Butcher place wasn't sure. Just my two cents.

That's exactly what that is, rock hard piece of fat it would seem, and yea I live in a small town with one butcher, good meat but you definitely pay for it, if i ever need bulk I drive 80 miles to the closest sam's club.

Ok, getting ready to rub for tomorrow so I opened the cryo, here's some more pictures if anyone cares to weigh in on whether or not it's a flat or a small packer and if i should trim anything more or just leave it as is I'd appreciate it greatly. thanks

thanks again!

In the last picture, is the top right the point? and the bottom left the flat? seperated by that thick fat vein? That's the only sense I can make of it..

I believe it is just the flat...I don't see the two separate directions of muscle grain, or any marbling as the point would have, so I'd think it has to be a flat. If that fat layer runs deep, that's the separation of the point/flat....the fat layer may be relatively thin further inside.

Also, now that it's unpacked, it looks too wide to be a packer compared to it's length. I don't see the hump of the point either...it should be noticeably thicker on one end.

I'd leave the fat cap as is...is looks to be trimmed fairly well already, and the flat is a very lean muscle, so the fat cap will aid in moisture retention.

Good luck with the upcoming smoke!

Eric

The first pic led me to believe it was indeed a flat but the other pics still give me a reason to believe there is a seperateable point on there. Sure is a different looking brisket though...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky