What are you listening to ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We have a stack of 78 rpm records about 2 feet high, mostly dance band and instrumental/vocal from back in the 30's to the 50's era. Ran across them clearing out an old building used for storage for the last 24 years and moving it into a sea can. No interest in 78's anymore so basically worthless but hate to throw out this good old music. Benny Goodman, Glen Miller type stuff.

I would think the problem would be finding something to play them ? Would a modern turntable handle that ?

I enjoy the big band stuff from the WW II era. If not for the electric guitar, it might still be around. Basically, instead of a guitar solo in the middle of the song, they break out with a trombone or cornet or sax solo.

Reactions: gmc2003
We have an older but not used Radio, CD, cassette tape and record player that does play the 45's, 78's and 33 1/3 records. I have played several of the 78's. Quality is not the best but considering the age of the records and equipment very enjoyable listening.

Benny Goodman, Glen Miller type stuff.
I have a bunch of that stuff also . Was my dad's . My Mom has a collection of 33 1/3 . Those things are breakable glass type stuff . They're all in " notebook " type things . Not real sure what's in there .

We have a stack of 78 rpm records about 2 feet high, mostly dance band and instrumental/vocal from back in the 30's to the 50's era. Ran across them clearing out an old building used for storage for the last 24 years and moving it into a sea can. No interest in 78's anymore so basically worthless but hate to throw out this good old music. Benny Goodman, Glen Miller type stuff.

I would think the problem would be finding something to play them ? Would a modern turntable handle that ?

I enjoy the big band stuff from the WW II era. If not for the electric guitar, it might still be around. Basically, instead of a guitar solo in the middle of the song, they break out with a trombone or cornet or sax solo.
Unfortunately my wife is a collector of old records. We have a couple of stacks of 78s sitting up in one of our spare bedrooms. The good thing is we also have a few options for listening.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, but this is our old Zenith Cobra system. It still works!!!
DSC05374.JPG

and here it is closed up pretending to be furniture again.
DSC05376.JPG

Here's another in a bit rougher shape, but it still works. Cannot remember the maker on this one.
DSC05377.JPG

and here it is doing it's best to blend in.
DSC05380.JPG

She also has a really old phonograph that uses wax cylinders.
Chris

Your equipment is older than ours. I think ours is repo with Magnavox brand on it. Lot better than nothing.

Samantha Fish put on a good show last night. She was here last July and she changed the setlist a lot. I was worried it would be the same.

Opening act was a group called Sgt Splendor. They were interesting. IDK that I'd look up their music, but they were interesting.

20240220_213408.jpg
20240220_223813.jpg

Reactions: Colin1230
Was putting stuff away in the new shooting supply cabinet so put on a couple 78's. Tribute to Glenn Miller by the Benny Goodman Orchestra and a couple other similar records. Found a few 45 sizes but play at 33 country songs that will try next time I am down there.

Reactions: chopsaw

Wow that is great, I have heard a few others also do this . Love her version. But Joplin and Willie and Sam Cooke. I like

David

Wow that is great, I have heard a few others also do this . Love her version. But Joplin and Willie and Sam Cooke. I like

David

Joann Shaw Taylor is someone to know. She's a Brit , writes a lot of her own music, and she can shred on the guitar.

I went looking for her best, and there's so much she does that would qualify ........ I just settled for this

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Got this in email today. Finally, they're in the State of Oklahoma. May make a nice trip to spend some time in Tulsa in June.

There was a link in the email that was suppose to go to a full list of dates and maybe have more info, like the venue , but I can't find it

TTB  Deuces Wild.jpeg

Got this in email today. Finally, they're in the State of Oklahoma. May make a nice trip to spend some time in Tulsa in June.

There was a link in the email that was suppose to go to a full list of dates and maybe have more info, like the venue , but I can't find it

View attachment 689766
My ticket request for June 1st is in. I would go to both except I am on a plane May 31 returning from the two Rolling Stones shows at Metlife Stadium.

My ticket request for June 1st is in. I would go to both except I am on a plane May 31 returning from the two Rolling Stones shows at Metlife Stadium.

Man, that's a rough schedule you've got :emoji_sunglasses:

Tickets for TTB in Tulsa go on sale at 10 am here. Mrs Okie and I are still undecided, we will probably pass

I went with Carolyn to a live concert at a large county fair several years ago. Was a country performer that I like his music, Sawyer Brown. Ended up being the most miserable 2 hours I ever sat in front 2 dozen speakers with volume cranked up full blast. The next year the son and I stayed at the camper while the girls went to a concert. Camper was 3/4 mile behind the stage, and we heard it just fine. No wonder the hearing aid business is booming, literally. Just my opinion of concerts.

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky