What a painful experience, KitchenAid sausage stuffer, what a PITA, looking for suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We like the others we have a dedicated grinder & stuffer.
But if you’re only making snack sticks then you probably could use a jerky gun with a round tube. It certainly would be better than the KA stuffer.
Al

Reactions: kilohertz
I dont stuff snack stick I use a jerky shooter , KA works well for stuffing brats for me , no large batches though typically 5lbs at a time ,

With all the feedback you fellows have given me I think I understand why I had such a problem with the KitchenAid. I didn’t properly chill meat the second time around after mixing, and I tried stuffing too much down the hole rather than plopping little balls in, plus the small diameter of the snack sticks is hard to push through the machine.

I am now planning on a dedicated stuffer, with all the input I have I’m now not sure whether I want a vertical or horizontal. I know vertical takes up less space, but you lose some meat at the end in the horn, horizontal needs more counter space. I think either a Hakko or Vevor, both get good reviews. I’ll shop around some more this week.

Thanks all.

Cheers

Reactions: zwiller
With all the feedback you fellows have given me I think I understand why I had such a problem with the KitchenAid. I didn’t properly chill meat the second time around after mixing, and I tried stuffing too much down the hole rather than plopping little balls in, plus the small diameter of the snack sticks is hard to push through the machine.

I am now planning on a dedicated stuffer, with all the input I have I’m now not sure whether I want a vertical or horizontal. I know vertical takes up less space, but you lose some meat at the end in the horn, horizontal needs more counter space. I think either a Hakko or Vevor, both get good reviews. I’ll shop around some more this week.

Thanks all.

Cheers
Another thing to think of. If you are mainly doing snack sticks, I wouldn't go above a 7 pound stuffer.
Once you start getting to a larger size it gets soooooo much harder to crank that much more meat through the tiny snack stick tube.

I have a stuffer that holds 20 pounds and to stuff 32mm brats and franks it takes 1 strong grown ass person to crank and another person to feed the casings and sausage.
If I ever did snack sticks I would pull out my 5 pound Lem so I could do it solo.

Another thing to consider is that these days I do jerky by just rolling it into sheets.
If I rolled it like 3/4 inch thick I could basically make skinless sticks (rectangle block shape). I would just cut those sheets into like 1/2 inch sticks once it got to the right size, texture, dehydration :D

I know vertical takes up less space, but you lose some meat at the end in the horn,
The ball on the plate is what's left in a LEM 5 pound stuffer . Nothing to speak off , and makes a great sandwich after you get cleaned up .
1689635552725.png

Last edited:
I use the 7lb Hakka that Tallbm posted. It holds about 6 lbs. Wooden dowels to get whats left in the stuffing tubes and run that and whats left in the elbow thru a jerky gun. Get a set of bottle brushes for cleaning the tubes also.
Yeah I'm with everyone on buying a dedicated stuffer.

I personally would get a 7 pound stuffer so you can actually load and stuff 5 pound batches. The 5 pound stuffers will only fit about 4 pounds.

Some folks don't like the design where the stuffing horn drops out of the bottom with a little "elbow" setup but at 7 pounds I don't think you can avoid that design. No big deal because you will definitely be able to stuff 5 pounds even if a little meat is left behind in that elbow.

People on SMF have reported Hakka as being a good brand and for less than a 5 pound LEM stuffer ($136 and has 5% off coupon) here is the Hakka 7 pounder :D

Just figured this info may help :)

If your doing snack sticks and ground jerky I highly recommend the Jerky Cannon makes things real easy. Yes a bit of a pain refilling the tube but nothing like you just went through and really not that bad. Bass Pro/Cabela's also make a jerky cannon that is electric 110 I have one it's awesome. I usually make somewhere between 7 and 25 lbs of sticks at a time and honestly I don't even stuff them into casings any more. I have a large dehydrator with a bunch of racks and I shoot the uncased snack sticks straight onto them then either into the smoker or dehydrator. They hold together just fine after smoking or dehydrating. I also own a 15 lb and a larger one. Jerky Cannons don't cost much unless you go with the electric one and still not a terrible price

you can get these...
https://www.sausagemaker.com/product/stuffing-tube-cleaner-set-set-of-4/
or use the correct size wood dowel to make a pusher to get the last of a small batch stuffed into casing by hand...
For everything but the snack stick tube you can use the next smaller tube with a tip of folded plastic wrap to push out the last meat.
Snack stick just use a dowel that almost fits the end of the tube with a folded plastic wrap tip.

My problem is the big bottom cavity in the stuffer body. Need to make a plate to push that meat out the tube. It is about 2 brats worth or about 5-10 sticks.

Reactions: indaswamp
Main reason I suggested LEM is replacement parts availability. I've seen a few threads in the forum where members were getting frustrated trying to hunt down parts for various off brand stuffers.

Well, that’s weird after I posted this message 4 other previous messages popped up so apologies for not commenting on those, but I think now also, a jerky cannon is in my future. Thanks for the suggestions.

So just a final question, vertical versus horizontal pros cons. It seems all brands make both types.

Snack sticks are coming along beautifully this evening two or three hours to go, pictures in my other thread. Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

Cheers

PS I can hardly wait to get more than six links in my smoker, ha ha seems hardly worth the effort to do 2 pounds but I decided to start small to get some experience.

Last edited:
Horizontal sausage stuffer is the way to go. Less waist when it gets close to being empty. My 10 pound vertical leaves behind a fair amount of meat that does not make it out of the elbow.
screenshot-www.vevor.ca-2023.07.18-09_17_15.png

Last edited:
Too small for me. 1.5lb is a must and most of my batches are 1Kg (2.2lbs). Cry once...

Back when my son was around 5, he is now 19 my Kirby Cannon was easy for him to operate with a foot peddle and make snack sticks. Don't use it much anymore as I don't make 30# batches anymore.
IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

One part of the solution has been solved, I found a LEM 5 pound brand new in the box only 300 km away. I’ve sent payment and it should be mailed sometime in the next day or two.

Thanks for the reminder of the water stuffer, I have all sorts of pipe around the property, I think I’ll try one of those as well ha ha just for the fun of it.

Cheers

Been there done that, bought the tshirt. Best thing to do is GET A SAUSAGE STUFFER. Before buying mine, I read all the horror stories on how the KA stuffing attachment is a PITA. I thought I will be different. People must not know how to use it properly. After my first batch I bought a 5 lb LEM and never looked back. Dad always said use the right tool for the job. It sure takes the headache out of the process. Have fun stuffing

5 pound batch?
That's probably 2 1/2 or 3 pounds . Most of what I do is in 2 1/2 pound batches . I normally don't do more than 10 pounds at a time .
I do it over 2 or 3 days and have a system in place that keeps it easy and fun .
Clean between steps .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky