What a painful experience, KitchenAid sausage stuffer, what a PITA, looking for suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’ve been thinking about my batch of snack sticks that I just made that was such a booger to get through the KitchenAid mixer, and it’s entirely possible thinking about it now that I might have over mixed the meat as when I stuffed them, the consistency was more like pate, rather than still being able to see individual clumps of meat. I mixed it for the recommended five minutes and for the 2 pounds it was I added a half cup of ice cold water.

This was my first batch, so I have a lot to learn.

Cheers

I’ve been thinking about my batch of snack sticks that I just made that was such a booger to get through the KitchenAid mixer, and it’s entirely possible thinking about it now that I might have over mixed the meat as when I stuffed them, the consistency was more like pate, rather than still being able to see individual clumps of meat. I mixed it for the recommended five minutes and for the 2 pounds it was I added a half cup of ice cold water.

This was my first batch, so I have a lot to learn.

Cheers
It is still edible. Texture is more some of the commercial meat sticks. A bit heavy on the water though. It will take a bit to dehydrate

It is still edible. Texture is more some of the commercial meat sticks. A bit heavy on the water though. It will take a bit to dehydrate
I just tried my first piece, so far disappointed, but I think it still needs four or five more days of hanging to dry out properly. The casing is quite tough compared to what I’m used to is a tough bite, and sometimes tears away in a sheet. The flavour is very bland, this was the cracked pepper, snack stick, preseason kit with cologen cases, I know I’ll do better when I start mixing my own spices. And I was right the consistency is very much like pate. It’s still edible just not what I was expecting but again my first time, so still as mentioned, lots to learn. I know my friend who makes pepperoni for me in town hangs it for four or five days.

Thanks

I just tried my first piece, so far disappointed, but I think it still needs four or five more days of hanging to dry out properly. The casing is quite tough compared to what I’m used to is a tough bite, and sometimes tears away in a sheet. The flavour is very bland, this was the cracked pepper, snack stick, preseason kit with cologen cases, I know I’ll do better when I start mixing my own spices. And I was right the consistency is very much like pate. It’s still edible just not what I was expecting but again my first time, so still as mentioned, lots to learn. I know my friend who makes pepperoni for me in town hangs it for four or five days.

Thanks
Kilohertz, a couple of q's. Are you keeping a log or journal of your sausage batches? This is where I find some of my problems. One specifically jumped out at me. In my journal I copy down the recipe I intend to use for that batch so I can refer back to it. I made a batch of Sweet Italian Sausage. After making it, into links and all, I decided to have some for breakfast the next day. Talk about a huge disappointment. It tasted like crap. Could not believe I had made something so bad. I went back to the recipe in my journal and realized I never copied the amount of salt to add. HUGE MISTAKE. I added this into my journal with RED INK not to forget the salt. This brings me to my second question...Do you make a test patty, fry it up and sample it BEFORE you go any further with making your sausage? Had I completed this step, I would have had a much better batch of Sweet Italian Sausage then I did. That mistake would have been caught and corrected before the links were made. Early on in my sausage making venture I read about people making test patty's and sampling them to judge the taste. I thought this idea was a waste of time. I'm following a recipe that people have made plenty of times and they all loved it. What could possible go wrong. Ending up with a batch of 30 - 40 bratwurst size sausages that has no salt is what. Taking the time to make and sample a test patty gives you the opportunity to adjust and tweak your flavor profile. It will save you the surprise and disappointment of a bland, flavorless sausage. Lesson learned.

Good morning,

I have a recipe binder, should start keeping a log of my bacon and sausage batches, thanks for the reminder. I haven't done the fry pan test but will start on the next batch, probably this weekend if the LEM 5 gets here on time.

I'm now investigating different mixing methods and times, not sure the KA paddle is the best for this process.

cheers

Reactions: DougE
Good morning,

I have a recipe binder, should start keeping a log of my bacon and sausage batches, thanks for the reminder. I haven't done the fry pan test but will start on the next batch, probably this weekend if the LEM 5 gets here on time.

I'm now investigating different mixing methods and times, not sure the KA paddle is the best for this process.

cheers

Great suggestions buy the guys. I'm really big on the fry testing because going through all the effort and getting a bland or bad product is horrible hahaha.
Also keeping some notes or a journal is a pretty good practice to follow.
I don't journal but I have a spreadsheet for my personal recipes that will also allow me to enter in how many pounds I want to make and it will scale up/down all of the ingredient amounts to ensure the seasoning is consistent at any weight.

Also the 1st tab is kind of my "Notes and other" info for store bought seasonings as well as just some quick formulas in the sheet for when I am calculating seasoning amounts or cure amounts etc so that stuff is not so intuitive and I'm sure you know how to work a spreadsheet to slap stuff in and calculate so I think you get how it just got plopped in at some random time hahaha. I keep this attached one in Google Drive so I'm always ready to get to it :D

Hopefully the attaches spreadsheet will help you get started with keeping your notes/journal as well as give you some recipes you can start with for sausage or jerky and finally, copy a tab as a template for whatever you come up with and tweak it as you like :D

Attachments

• Lem Seasoning and Sausge Notes.xlsx
    179.2 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: kilohertz
I found the LEM 5 pounder last night
You will not be disappointed with that stuffer. I have it and it works really well. Yes, there is a little left over in the tube, but I just push it out for a final fry test.

Good Luck and keep experimenting. Fun hobby.

You won't be sorry with the LEM 5 lb. Height off the counter was something that was not mentioned that I saw . That's important to me and the LEM fits that bill .
1689811690168.png

Also , when you get it go get some lengths of dowel rod to clean out the tubes it comes with .
20221027_070423.jpg

My new LEM 5 lb just arrived and it truly is new in the box, I was a little worried as it was a Facebook marketplace transaction, my first, but it's here.

Now to make my next batch of sausage, probably more snack sticks. I should probably continue this on my Snack Stick thread. See you over there.

Cheers

Great suggestions buy the guys. I'm really big on the fry testing because going through all the effort and getting a bland or bad product is horrible hahaha.
Also keeping some notes or a journal is a pretty good practice to follow.
I don't journal but I have a spreadsheet for my personal recipes that will also allow me to enter in how many pounds I want to make and it will scale up/down all of the ingredient amounts to ensure the seasoning is consistent at any weight.

Also the 1st tab is kind of my "Notes and other" info for store bought seasonings as well as just some quick formulas in the sheet for when I am calculating seasoning amounts or cure amounts etc so that stuff is not so intuitive and I'm sure you know how to work a spreadsheet to slap stuff in and calculate so I think you get how it just got plopped in at some random time hahaha. I keep this attached one in Google Drive so I'm always ready to get to it :D

Hopefully the attaches spreadsheet will help you get started with keeping your notes/journal as well as give you some recipes you can start with for sausage or jerky and finally, copy a tab as a template for whatever you come up with and tweak it as you like :D
I just opened the SS and it's very well done, it sure makes things a lot easier to calculate ingredients. I've been working with Excel since the early 90's, I love it, very powerful tool.

I made one 3 lb batch of pepperoni yesterday, smoking it today, I may make another different batch this morning to go along with it.

I love the LEM stuffer, it works 100% better than the KA, only took 1.5 hours start to finish, seasoning/mixing to all stuffed and cleanup done. I love it!

Cheers

I just opened the SS and it's very well done, it sure makes things a lot easier to calculate ingredients. I've been working with Excel since the early 90's, I love it, very powerful tool.

I made one 3 lb batch of pepperoni yesterday, smoking it today, I may make another different batch this morning to go along with it.

I love the LEM stuffer, it works 100% better than the KA, only took 1.5 hours start to finish, seasoning/mixing to all stuffed and cleanup done. I love it!

Cheers
Thanks, I'm glad you find the spreadsheet handy :D

Oh you are in the thick of it now with that 5 pound stuffer hahahah.

Fair warning, you will soon be thinking "Man doing 4-5 pounds at a time is great but for all this work I'd like to be able to do like 20 pounds at a time so I can get like 20-40 pounds done and be set for a while" :D

I'd like to be able to make a pepperoni that is as close as possible to flavor as dry cured pepperoni so let me know what your pepperoni findings turn out to be!
Keep us posted on all your sausage adventures as well :D

Don't forget to lube that baby up. Including the silicone "o" ring and the gears. It makes for some easier cranking. At the end, some people use bread in the stuffer to get out all the meat, some use Ice. Have fun!!

Horizontal sausage stuffer is the way to go. Less waist when it gets close to being empty. My 10 pound vertical leaves behind a fair amount of meat that does not make it out of the elbow.View attachment 670896
I am thinking of getting into sausage but dont want to spend a lot as probably not make to much. One of these might do the trick.

I haven't much luck with the meat grinder or sausage stuffer on the kitchen aid. Mine is the all plastic attachment.
Luckily, i have my father-in-laws cast iron stuffer. It has the meat wasting bottom horn, but the first 8# is great.
Look around. Maybe you can find one at a yard sale or flea market
Greetings!

I use the KitchenAid for grinding and stuffing (It's all I have) and it is okay for me since I have no experience with other equipment. I've had both attachments plastic and metal and I think the metal is better and stuffs decently. I must add that the stuffing process is a teamwork...my wife pushes the mixture into the stuffer and I work with the casings and the coming mixture flow.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky