Well, pulled the trigger on the Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! I also meant to ask if folks have any mods that they liked to do to the Camp Chef? Anyone?
Although it is advised against, I have used some FireBlack to create a gasket on my Camp Chef STX lid from smoke spewing at the edges. I have not had any problems and since doing it, my temps are more consistent as well. I feel I have a better smoke flavor in my cooks now as well. This is my only mod I've done. I have the jerky racks which is awesome for space and plan to get a shelf for the front side of the grill.

PS. Congrats on the purchase. You'll love the unit!

Why is it advised against? I actually read about the gasket mod as well and, frankly, I was planning on doing that unless convinced otherwise.

It is said that it disrupts the air flow and that there is meant to be smoke leak for the grill to run properly. Quite honestly, the gasket doesn't seal it up 100% but it reduced it greatly, enough for me to see improvements. I would suggest it to you as I saw a better consistency on holding temps . Without the gasket, more outside air enters in the chamber and seemed to fluctuate my temps more.

Granted, I'm not as experienced as others with this, but it would seem to me that air flow comes from the chamber below and the chimney directs it as it's supposed to do...

Kurt

My new Camp Chef PG24 DLX will be arriving on Wednesday. Just in time to break it in for the weekend.

I'm thinking chicken and ribs....

Hey Kurt, congrats on the purchase. I just pulled the trigger on a Camp Chef Woodwind yesterday 02/18 and got an email today 02/19 that it has shipped. :)

This will be my first Pellet Pooper so I am feeling like a kid waiting for Santa Claus.
Let us know how it goes and your first cook.
Have fun,
PaPaGrizz

My first as well. i opted to not go for the Woodwind because the DLX is basically the same except for the shelf and additional wheels. I also did not purchase the sear box...mine was $588 free 2 day shipping included.

I know it seems far fetched, but several people have experienced wild temperature swings of more than 100F after installing a gasket around the lid. It happened to me - huge swings and flameouts after I installed one. But I didn't connect the two things as being related until after I returned my DLX. Then I read about other folks that installed the gasket, had a problem, and after removing the gasket the problem was resolved. Still, there are others that installed the gasket and had no problem. So just be aware that it may cause a problem and really is not needed.

I know it seems far fetched, but several people have experienced wild temperature swings of more than 100F after installing a gasket around the lid. It happened to me - huge swings and flameouts after I installed one. But I didn't connect the two things as being related until after I returned my DLX. Then I read about other folks that installed the gasket, had a problem, and after removing the gasket the problem was resolved. Still, there are others that installed the gasket and had no problem. So just be aware that it may cause a problem and really is not needed.

Good post brother, I have read about trying to keep the smoke in with gasket material around the lid but according to the manufacturer, it is there for to allow the correct flow of air.
I won't mess with it unless the temps are FUBAR.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll wait on the gasket. I'll be smoking this weekend and will post some qview.

Reactions: papagrizz
My wife and kids got me the Cabeles pellet smoker for my birthday last year. It's the same as a camp chef pg24. No mods needed. I live in Maine and use it year round and it holds temps fine even bellow freezing outside. It makes the best ribs ever, and real simple too. Rub on the ribs, high smoke for 3 hours, then up to 250 for 3 hours. Light brushing of my homemade BBQ sauce at hour 3, 4, and 5. Hour 6 they're done. No wrapping or spraying needed. I've even done 4 racks in it at one time. Mine has the upper shelf that fits a rack and three on the maine grate. It was a little tight, but the smoker did it with no problems. Delicious!

Awesome! I'm in NH and kicking it up to 250 sounds like a good idea. Although, I wrap after 3 hrs, then back on for 2 hrs, then 1 hr unwrapped. I've got racks waiting...plan is to do ribs and chicken this weekend...and maybe a bologna for my dad...he really likes bologna. :)

Nice, good luck with the bbq. Please post some picks! I don't wrap mine because I like a nice bark. I wrapped in the past, I found I can get a nicer bark by not wrapping and putting a few light coats of bbq sauce the last 3 hours. Also it's much easier. I will note that I usually get the loin back ribs which have a nice thick slab of loin along the rack. If you're doing baby backs or smaller racks, check for doneness around 5 to 5.5 hours. They may not need a full 6 hours.

Great discussion on the lid gasket. I have the LUX with a sear box on order. Looking forward for some reverse sear filet mignon. I went with the larger smoker due to occasional family and grandkids coming over for dinner here and there.

I also have on order a roll of FireBlack for the lid. After reading the above posts may give it a run around the block first to see how it does before slapping on the FireBlack. This will be my first pellet smoker and looking forward to new flavors from the grill. Where I grill and smoke is somewhat protected as long as the wind is not out of the North. So I may not need to install the gasket on the lid. If I get temp swings caused by wind or excess leakage from the lid will throw a strip of gasket on the lid.

I also have on order a roll of FireBlack for the lid. After reading the above posts may give it a run around the block first to see how it does before slapping on the FireBlack. This will be my first pellet smoker and looking forward to new flavors from the grill. Where I grill and smoke is somewhat protected as long as the wind is not out of the North. So I may not need to install the gasket on the lid. If I get temp swings caused by wind or excess leakage from the lid will throw a strip of gasket on the lid.

Please let us know how it goes. My WoodWind should be here real soon, it's at a terminal about 50 mi away. Maybe I should just go and get it....;)

No wrapping or spraying needed. I've even done 4 racks in it at one time. Mine has the upper shelf that fits a rack and three on the maine grate. It was a little tight, but the smoker did it with no problems. Delicious!

Good info Hap, I will give it a try with two racks of Spares. I'm thinking about using the 3-2-1 method on one and not wrap the other one and let the Family decide.
toast.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky