Wanting to learn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theycallmebigsexy

Original poster
May 21, 2020
Hello everyone. I have been grilling, and doing some smoking, on my Weber Kettle for several years, but just started using a upright smoker. I happened upon a used DynoGlo offset upright smoker, and am in the process of doing some of the mods that were suggested on the very in depth thread in this forum specifically for that grill. It has been a great resource.

Still learning to control the temperature, but so far I have done several whole chickens, a pork shoulder for pulled pork (that took WAAAAAAAY longer than I expected), and a 130 Chicken wings for a gathering. All of them turned out ok, and I learned at least a little bit every time. I would like to do a brisket sometime in the near future, but want to get the mods done and get better at controlling the temp before I mess up an expensive cut of meat.

Any advice for a total newb at smoking? Especially around controlling the temps? I am finding it to be quite the learning curve......

Reactions: kruizer
Teach yourself technique, and don't concentrate on any single recipe. Being able to make barbecue the way you like it is one thing, but being able to make barbecue the way your family and friends like their barbecue is the sign of a good cook. Two of the most important things are good fire management (including the smoke itself) and learning how to cook all the different meats so they have the desired tenderness and moistness. Nail the tenderness first.... This will take a while, and as you begin to master this, start playing with the flavor and fine tune your signature seasoning touch. Of all things, getting the salt right makes a big difference.

I would recommend a spiral notebook, and reserve a section for beef, pork, poultry, etc., then keep a diary of your cooks. Undoubtedly, you will want to make changes but don't try to make too many changes at the same time.

Give yourself more time than you think it'll take. Welcome from South Carolina!

Don't worry about temp fluctuations even your home oven most likely has a 25- 30* fluctuation.
The guys that worry about holding an exact temp are borderline OCD and are going to drive themselves insane. If it holds temp within 25* either way I don't sweat it one bit because I shoot for 255* to 265* for almost everything that I smoke these days so there if fudge room on the upper and lower end of the temp .

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky