Wanted: Eckrich Smoked Sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
I've been looking for a while and been unable to find anything.

I think part of the problem is that "Smoked Sausage" is so general a term. If you are not familiar specifically with Eckrich Skinless Smoked Sausage you might mistake the request for a Kielbasa, Andouille, or (shudder) hot links... (which yeah, they also make, and no, they are nothing -nothing- like a hot link).

Face it. Someone looking for a good gumbo recipe is not likely to be happy with someone posting their favorite chowder, just because they are both seafood soups...

I live in Thailand now, and am jonesing for my fix. Please, help a brother out...

1682836100279.png

I am very familiar with that stuff. It's definitely got polish influence. I would say it's basically a kielbasa formula but with little or no garlic. Pork and chicken for protein. I make EXCELLENT sausage with 50/50 pork butt/chicken thigh including the skin and also use the skinless casings. You should be able to get close to it without too much fuss. I'd start here: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Polish-American.pdf

I am very familiar with that stuff. It's definitely got polish influence. I would say it's basically a kielbasa formula but with little or no garlic. Pork and chicken for protein. I make EXCELLENT sausage with 50/50 pork butt/chicken thigh including the skin and also use the skinless casings. You should be able to get close to it without too much fuss. I'd start here: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Polish-American.pdf

Thanks. Eckrich are pretty bland, and I like it that way... I assume when they say 'mustard seed' they mean mustard seed powder?

I found this for "Farmer's Sausage / Mennonite Sausage" and was wondering if it were similar.

I'm thinking adding a bit of sugar, & MSG might give a close approximation.

-sterling

Live an hour from mennonite folks. I don't think the Ekrich stuff is that BUT I think you are headed in the right direction to keep it simple and mild. Either dial back the kielbasa or ramp up the mennonite formula should get you close. Somewhere in the middle is Ekrich. The polish sausage formulas are deceiving. The times I've made them I cannot really detect the ingredients, and they just blend together and add to the flavor of the meat. I also recall the Ekrich is heavily smoked which is why lots of folks use it in cooking so there's that too. I say grind or use mustard powder. Use more than you think. Some guys like the appearance of the whole seed, but I don't.

Man, that's usually the example I give when a bbq joint sells a lame not made in-house sausage. I'll say it tastes like they just got some Eckrich. I remember it as a kid from the grocery store but I haven't had it in years. I totally get the nostalgia aspect of it. Good luck!

Man, that's usually the example I give when a bbq joint sells a lame not made in-house sausage. I'll say it tastes like they just got some Eckrich. I remember it as a kid from the grocery store but I haven't had it in years. I totally get the nostalgia aspect of it. Good luck!

Yeah, its a matter of personal preference, not nostalgia.

Too over spiced, and I don't enjoy. Mind you, not necessarily too 'hot', (I do live in Thailand after all), just too many spices.

I have a buddy that loves Hot Links. (I can't stand Hotlinks) We'd go back and forth. I don't understand his preference, he doesn't understand mine. But we both enjoyed going to Swadley's together for BBQ.

Thanks,
-sterling

Reactions: jcam222
What about Texas hot guts? In Central Texas there's a lot of beef sausage that's mostly salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. The problem I have with Eckrich is that is a very highly processed product with pork and mechanically separated chicked for some reason. It's packed full of phosphate to stretch the meat as much as possible. It has a almost a hot dog like texture. I agree that too many seasonings can hurt a sausage.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
What about Texas hot guts? In Central Texas there's a lot of beef sausage that's mostly salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. The problem I have with Eckrich is that is a very highly processed product with pork and mechanically separated chicked for some reason. It's packed full of phosphate to stretch the meat as much as possible. It has a almost a hot dog like texture. I agree that too many seasonings can hurt a sausage.
I think that is the challenge is the things they add to stretch the meat. I have tried to recreate Conucha co sausage and not had much luck but did create a great go to flavored sausage chasing the flavor. Works really well in Gumbo and other dishes.

Meat

(Add 10% fat to pork picnic shoulder)

Beef 30% fat

For venison add 30% fat

Kosher salt 1.8%

Brown sugar 1.3%.

Black pepper .64% or .5%white pepper

Curing salt .25%

Garlic powder .92%

Mustard seed .22%.

Marjoram .1%

3% nonfat dry milk powder 3%

1/2 cup cold half and half 6%

Red pepper flakes .3%.

Optional

Pepper jack cheese or Cheddar 20%

Good luck in the chase!

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Dustin Dorsey

Not familiar with Hot Guts. Can't say...

-sterling

I too have always liked the Eckridge Smoked Sausage and wanted to make my own. After many failed attempts, this is what I finally came up with and it's really good.

70% pork butt
30% chicken thighs
Add pork back fat to make a 30% total fat percentage.
Stuff in 32-35mm hog casings.
Grind with a 4.5mm plate.
Mix all spices/binder/etc. with water then put in refrigerator to stay cold.
Add the water/spice mixture to the ground meat and mix for good protein extraction.
Stuff casings, then let rest overnight in refrigerator uncovered.
Smoke at 180 degrees on pellet smoker until internal temp is 140.
Ice bath to cool down quickly.
Vacuum pack, then Sous Vide at 155 degrees for 2 hours.
Can freeze as is in the vacuum packs or eat now.

Salt 17g/kg
MSG 4.5g/kg
White sugar 11g/kg
Mustard powder 2.5g/kg
Fine ground black pepper 2.2g/kg
Granulated garlic 1g/kg
Ground marjoram 1.3g/kg
Pink cure 3g/kg
Sodium Erythorbate 0.5g/kg
Cold phosphate 4.5g/kg
Milk powder binder 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 30
I too have always liked the Eckridge Smoked Sausage and wanted to make my own. After many failed attempts, this is what I finally came up with and it's really good.

70% pork butt
30% chicken thighs
Add pork back fat to make a 30% total fat percentage.
Stuff in 32-35mm hog casings.
Grind with a 4.5mm plate.
Mix all spices/binder/etc. with water then put in refrigerator to stay cold.
Add the water/spice mixture to the ground meat and mix for good protein extraction.
Stuff casings, then let rest overnight in refrigerator uncovered.
Smoke at 180 degrees on pellet smoker until internal temp is 140.
Ice bath to cool down quickly.
Vacuum pack, then Sous Vide at 155 degrees for 2 hours.
Can freeze as is in the vacuum packs or eat now.

Salt 17g/kg
MSG 4.5g/kg
White sugar 11g/kg
Mustard powder 2.5g/kg
Fine ground black pepper 2.2g/kg
Granulated garlic 1g/kg
Ground marjoram 1.3g/kg
Pink cure 3g/kg
Sodium Erythorbate 0.5g/kg
Cold phosphate 4.5g/kg
Milk powder binder 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Thank you my friend, I will give these a try next opportunity. Smoker is down at the moment, but will be back.

-sterling

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky