Walked past , did 360 , can't believe it followed me home. And without Steve's help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Walked past , did 360 , can't believe it followed me home. And without Steve's Steve H Steve H help

Weber Smokey Mountain !4" Cooker/Smoker

Well I have always been thinking of a little grill to cook on down to the RV.
Never really saw anything that caught my fancy. But really was not looking hard.

Today I was in hardware store and walked right past this. Stopped and went back and thought is this right and do I really need this for the RV.
It said 75% off, now me not knowing if this is good or not because I normally research most things I am thinking of picking up. So I left the store after getting what I needed .
Got home and started looking up the real price from other sources , and if this is a good machine.

DSC_8730.JPG DSC_8731.JPG

Said normal price is $319.99 and this was their Display model.

Well I could not stand it , I drove back and said if gone then I am ok with that .

It was there still , I took it all apart , and everything was there even the Cover still in the bag.

Got home and Yes it was in the back of the truck
( I even asked the guy at the store , if they would maybe come down a little more on the price , Well sir i think I can still hear him laughing )

DSC_8732.JPG DSC_8733.JPG DSC_8734.JPG
DSC_8735.JPG

I think it will be fun learning what to do and not to do with a full charcoal smoker .

I will make some kind of a stand for it, to raise it up a bit for me .

Thanks for looking , any suggestions on this just fire them at me , Thanks

David

Good Lord! You scored big time! Congrats. And can't wait to see what your first cook will be on it.

Thanks Steve for the love and the comment
, than I guess it is a good price .

The instructions do not say anything about a burn off, but I guess that will be done first.
Will have to figure out it first smoke for the week end.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice !!
When I bought my 28" Blackstone for $106.00 on closeout , They also had a nib 14" WSM .
Was already getting the flattop , so I walked by like you .
It bugged me for a week . I went back the next weekend and it was still there .
So I grabbed it for the same $106.00 .
David , the first thing I would do is fasten the charcoal grate to the ring . That way after a cook you can lift it up and shake out the ash and small pieces before taking it out . Empty the ash bin and you're done .
I also put wheels on mine . I don't use it much , but it's charcoal stingy and fun to cook on .
This is a lighting method I use posted by dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 . Great method for lighting .
20171203_145622.jpg

Nice !!
When I bought my 28" Blackstone for $106.00 on closeout , They also had a nib 14" WSM .
Was already getting the flattop , so I walked by like you .
It bugged me for a week . I went back the next weekend and it was still there .
So I grabbed it for the same $106.00 .
David , the first thing I would do is fasten the charcoal grate to the ring . That way after a cook you can lift it up and shake out the ash and small pieces before taking it out . Empty the ash bin and you're done .
I also put wheels on mine . I don't use it much , but it's charcoal stingy and fun to cook on .
This is a lighting method I use posted by dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 . Great method for lighting .
View attachment 679393

Thanks Rich for the love and the comment

Good then not just me second guessing a good deal.

Love the mods and thank you , that is just a propane torch shoved in to light the charcoal ?

I also love that it was already put together.

So you mean bolt or fasten #6 to #7, do you have a smaller mesh added to the charcoal grate so the charcoal does not fall through too soon, I read that today when looking up about these before I bought.

DSC_8736.JPG

Thanks David

Reactions: JLeonard
Oh boy! New toys. I love new toys. Have fun learning the new cooker. Look forward to your first cook and review.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

Me also, was not looking for one , and that is even funner.

Yes not sure what it will be , some thing simple to get the hang of it .

David

Nice score! That is perfect for the RV! I’m looking forward to seeing some Q pics

Thanks Civil for the like and the comment

Me also and , If it makes it to the trailer , lol.
Might now have to keep a look out in case I really like it for another one. won't Mona love that now .

David

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Walked past , did 360 , can't believe it followed me home. And without Steve's Steve H Steve H help

Weber Smokey Mountain !4" Cooker/Smoker

Well I have always been thinking of a little grill to cook on down to the RV.
Never really saw anything that caught my fancy. But really was not looking hard.

Today I was in hardware store and walked right past this. Stopped and went back and thought is this right and do I really need this for the RV.
It said 75% off, now me not knowing if this is good or not because I normally research most things I am thinking of picking up. So I left the store after getting what I needed .
Got home and started looking up the real price from other sources , and if this is a good machine.

View attachment 679387 View attachment 679388

Said normal price is $319.99 and this was their Display model.

Well I could not stand it , I drove back and said if gone then I am ok with that .

It was there still , I took it all apart , and everything was there even the Cover still in the bag.

Got home and Yes it was in the back of the truck
( I even asked the guy at the store , if they would maybe come down a little more on the price , Well sir i think I can still hear him laughing )

View attachment 679389 View attachment 679390 View attachment 679391
View attachment 679392

I think it will be fun learning what to do and not to do with a full charcoal smoker .

I will make some kind of a stand for it, to raise it up a bit for me .

Thanks for looking , any suggestions on this just fire them at me , Thanks

David
that's a good score. been looking at the little smokey joe baby kettle for small charcoal cooks for $40. then had a rocket scientist abberation. bottom 1/3 of my WSM 18".

smoker bottom sm.jpg

Was that also to burn off any factory oils etc.. Or just to get a hang of the temp process
Mostly to see how it ran . I threw the grates on my gas grill to cook off the junk .
There was a learning curve for me . I think I ran it twice before I cooked on it .
They will hold water if left in the weather . I took mine out last week and it was FULL of water .
I dumped a full chimney in it to dry it out . Settled in around 350 . I forgot about it until I let the dog out at 9 pm . It was still running at 350 . It been almost 100 hours . I actually just looked , and there's still enough charcoal in it to do some hotdogs .

Also the more you use it the more it seals up .

that's a good score. been looking at the little smokey joe baby kettle for small charcoal cooks for $40. then had a rocket scientist abberation. bottom 1/3 of my WSM 18".

View attachment 679398

Thanks for the comment

Thanks i'm hoping I preform well with it , as I know it works . Just me trying to figure it out so I don't make it look bad. ha ha

Smart idea, so do the covers on every size also fit the bottom sections of said size, will have to check mine tomorrow

David

Mostly to see how it ran . I threw the grates on my gas grill to cook off the junk .
There was a learning curve for me . I think I ran it twice before I cooked on it .
They will hold water if left in the weather . I took mine out last week and it was FULL of water .
I dumped a full chimney in it to dry it out . Settled in around 350 . I forgot about it until I let the dog out at 9 pm . It was still running at 350 . It been almost 100 hours . I actually just looked , and there's still enough charcoal in it to do some hotdogs .

Also the more you use it the more it seals up .

Wow , that is a long run , they must seal up good to run that efficient and long

So do you normally light up a chimney to use of mostly just light it up in the smoker with the torch?

Thanks Rich
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky