Vortex Quarters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Well I was finally able To lure the buzzards in by playing dead in the parking lot at work…
Leg quarters overnight pickle brine then dried them and coated with melted butter and rub. Onto the kettle with a couple of chunks of pecan to add flavor. Temps running 400 degrees according to the Inkbird the whole time. Rotated the lid every 15 minutes.
IMG_1393.jpeg
Took them to 170 degrees then dipped some in BBQ sauce, a couple in Franks wing sauce for the boy, and left a couple naked for Lesa. Left them on for about 10 more minutes to set the sauce.
IMG_1394.jpeg

Got out the good china and chowed down. Store bought tater salad and macaroni salad, and opened a can of green beans.
IMG_1395.jpeg
Took some over to the police officer across the road. Gotta keep on the good side of the law!
Thanks for checking in. Hope everyone had a great and safe Labor Day!

Jim

Sounds good Jim. For lazy night meals I usually go with KFC cold slaw, and a potato salad from one of our local mom-n-pops.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Jim those look fantastic!! I've yet to try pickle brining chicken. I know TNJAKE swore by it.
Yep! That’s where I got it. Man it was juicy and the butter on the skin had it super crispy!

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
Well I was finally able To lure the buzzards in by playing dead in the parking lot at work…
Leg quarters overnight pickle brine then dried them and coated with melted butter and rub.

Jim
Pickle brine? That's the juice from dill pickles that you don't drink? Sounds excellent. Will have to try that the next time wife is out of town.

Dang Jim, those look exceptional. Really nice yard bird. Nice work for sure. That pickle juice brine on chicken is pure magic.

That is some damn good looking chicken. One of these days I'll try the pickle brine. Maybe do a whole bird and put it on the spinner...

Pickle brine? That's the juice from dill pickles that you don't drink? Sounds excellent. Will have to try that the next time wife is out of town.
Yes sir. My wife eats pickles like candy. I got her saving the juice and use it to brine chicken. Makes for some juicy chicken. TNJAKE TNJAKE got me hooked on it.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky