Venison Hind Quarter Smoke - Brine or Marinate or both?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old smokey nj

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Medford Lakes, NJ
Hello all. I just got a deboned hind quarter (football) roast and want to smoke it. Reading all kind of suggestions on brining, marinating, etc., but finding all kinds

of info... soaking in ice for 4 to 5 days and changing ice often, to just seasoning it right away and throwing it in smoker, and everything in between. I'm sure it comes down to personal preference, but any suggestions on tried and true methods would be appreciated!

I soak in ice water for a few hours with a little salt in it to draw out the blood. Change it out every hour. I've also soaked in buttermilk. Then rub and smoke. Might try putting some bacon on it for some fat. There's alot of different methods

If it were me, I'd smoke to 132* then sous vide the venison roast @132* for minimum of 12 hours....20 would be better. Sous Vide is a godsend for wild game, the tenderness achieved will shock you.

I've done them using pop's brine. and smoked it to 160 degrees internal. added a glaze towards the end. came out just like ham.

I've done a few and found I like just salt, pepper, and garlic on it then once on the smoker drape bacon over most of it to help with keeping it moist. I smoked them to about 135 and when done foil and rest in a warm dry cooler for at least an hour to allow the juices to reabsorb

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky