UMAi Salumi/5 Pounds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Mixed up 5 lbs of UMAi Salumi blend today. Used the new Bactoferm Flora Italia LC. Mix this up with 1/4 cup cold distilled water, cover and fridge while you get your salumi mixed (add last) I added my UMAi mix, salt and cure 2 together. I wanted to used smoked sea salt but didnt have enough. Put in the biltong barrel for fermenting. I have a ceramic heater lamp but i need a ceramic or metal base for it so just using the 40w bulb. Looking at 3 days for fermenting. UMAi 50mm bags.

usalss.jpg

Add my cure 2 with the sea salt.
usalss2.jpg

The new Bactoferm
sfpro.jpg

1/2 tsp mixed into cold distilled water, mix well cover and fridge (add last into meat mix)
usalss1.jpg

UMAi Salumi blend.
usalss3.jpg

Mixed the salumi blend with the salt and cure 2.
usalss4.jpg

Now stuff em up into UMAi 50mm bags.
usalss5.jpg

In the biltong barrel for fermentation. Looking at 3 days.
usalss6.jpg

I'm along for the ride on this one, I have been looking forward to this thread.

I have been researching recipes while I wait for all my stuff to come in so I can build my drying chamber.

What's this biltong barrel? I hung mine in my closet....
What are those sticks and that thingy at the bottom?
Curious and watching :-)

What's this biltong barrel? I hung mine in my closet....
What are those sticks and that thingy at the bottom?
Curious and watching :-)
I used to hang my biltong in the front closet of the 5th wheel but my wife didnt like the over powering smell of the worcy. So i made my own biltong dryer. And when i have coriander seeds fall off the meat i can just vac them out. The sticks are just in there, they are extra hanging rods, the thingy at the bottom is my 40w bulb, gives me some low heat.

Little over 24 hours. UMAi Salumi is getting darker, nice fermentation smell going on. Chubs are firmer.

usally.jpg

Lookin great Rick!
Quick question- how many poles can you hang in your brute trash can fermenting chamber? I just bought a brute, need to drill holes. Also, what size wood dowels did you use?

Thanks!

Lookin great Rick!
Quick question- how many poles can you hang in your brute trash can fermenting chamber? I just bought a brute, need to drill holes. Also, what size wood dowels did you use?

Thanks!
I only put 3 in, but there is room for 2 more. The one im using is 25 gallon i think. A bigger one may be able to get more dowels. I used 1/2" oak dowels.

Reactions: indaswamp
Ok at 28 days.
Pretty firm, smells real good.
nbactsal.jpg

Taste is like Gallo dry salami. Im happy with the taste. I think 2 more weeks to dry yet.
nbactsal2.jpg

Decided to EQ the salumi early. Looking at a 6 week EQ.
useq1.jpg

useq.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky