Two fatties w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Hello all,

I smoked a couple of fatties today for the first time and they turned out great! I don't mean to brag, but my nephew said "what are you taking pictures for?" I told him about SMF and he said to say "they turned out great" Sooo... I did. Each were two pounds of JD original. One had pizza sauce, onions, bell peppers, oregano, S&P, and mozzarella. The other one, and tonightâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s winner of "which was your favorite fatty" contest by a 6 - 2 vote had alfredo sauce, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, oregano, S&P, and an Italian five cheese blend. The two people that didn't vote for it said it was because they liked them both the same. The other six said the Alfredo sauce was what did it for them. They want that in all future pizza style fatties. I smoked for exactly 2 hours and averaged 225 on my temp gauge. The outside temp here was in the high 80's and wind was not a factor. Both fatties and a side dish of spicy potatoes au gratin feed 8 people with no leftovers. Overall, my best smoke yet. I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't done it yet. After dinner, we sat around thinking of other things to stuff a fatty with. We came up with:
Fatty Cordon Blue, Fatty pot pie, Broccoli and Cheese fatty, and a Spanish fatty. My nine year old nephew came up with Breakfast fatty. He was so proud of himself and his "original" thought. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that's the classic. Here's the Q-view. Enjoy.

Fine looking fatties Chef! Wife has been out of town, she missed my first fatty. Going to GA to see her this weekend, told her I'd bring her a fatty of her choice, she chose breakfast. Q-view will be up this weekend with 4 butts to boot.

Thanks Seboke. I'll be looking forward to your q-view. WOW. You're planning on smoking a whole lotta butt. What do you do with that much? Any way, best of luck. I hope you get great weather for it. Safe travels when you go to GA.

Great looking fatties chef-great job!sounds like all had a fun time with the fatties.points

Those look great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
have you figured out anything that wouldn't be good in a fatty
biggrin.gif

Great looking Fatties Chef
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Need to try one Italian style. Yet another thing to add to my to-do list.

Man do I love that list!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words you guys.

The next time I see the quesiton "What is a good first smoke?" I'll suggest a fatty. The end result is awesome. It's easy. Plus, the cook time is short so it gives people a chance to play with their fire for couple of hours without it seeming overwhelming if things aren't going well.

Hey Sumosmoke,

Actually, I did foil my fatties and let them rest for about 15 minutes. But... it was purely by accident. I told my guests that dinner was at 6:15. I was so proud of myself to have both the potatoes and fatties done together on time. But... my brother was late. So I covered them and we all waited on him. He arrived about 6:30. Otherwise, I would have sliced them up right out of the smoker. It never occurred to me until your post that helped improve the quality. Thanks! I'll plan the rest time for future fatties.

So I guess.... Basically everything that comes off the smoker needs to rest for some amount of time?

Thanks,

Franklin

Bout the only thing I dont let rest is my ribs as I have foiled them then firmed them back up. I usually cut them up after pulling them.

Great looking Q there my friend!!!

Based on everything I've read on the site, one of the rules of smoking is to let the meat rest before slicing or pulling. Makes sense as one of the benefits of smoking meat is to create juicy masterpiece's that make on-lookers drool.
PDT_Armataz_01_38.gif

If you were to cut into the fatty when it came right off the smoker, it still would've tasted the same, just the presentation would've been affected. If nobody objects to eating something that looks like oooze on a plate, then happy grubs!
biggrin.gif

Smoke Chef,

Very nice. Glad to hear your nephew is getting interested. Get him smoking. What is the secret to the meat you wrapped it in?? Q-view is great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky