Turkey - Butter Replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tyler Anthony

Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
I do a couple turkeys for thanksgiving and I used to inject them with butter but we now have some dairy allergies. Is there something else I can use to inject with? does olive oil or another type of fat replace the moisture in the turkey that butter adds? or should I just not do any of that?

Thank you

Try Tony C’s jalapeno butter marinade (Not real butter) Walmart has tons of them around TG Day. We were just there a couple of days ago & they had a whole display with all of Tony C’s injections. As a bonus it comes with a throwaway needle.
Al

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I've used a few Cajun Injector brand pre-made injection solutions in the past with good results. You can review what's available in that brand. I can't compare with Tony C's because I've never used Tony C's injections.

Instead of turkey I smoke-roast a brined boneless pork loin scroll cut, then stuffed with fruit, nuts, and goat cheese for major holidays (I realize that may not be an option for you with dairy allergy issues). There's a world of non-poultry dishes available to establish your own less conventional holiday meal traditions as another available option.

20191128_191816.jpg
20191128_195411.jpg
20191128_191816.jpg

I’ve been wanting to try the Cajun Honey Beer injection I came across, you could try and let me know how it goes!
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup dark ale
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning

• heat cider in sauce pan, stir in honey until smooth, remove from heat and mix beer and Cajun for injection

Do you Spatchcock by any chance?
I Part my Turkey out. Breast and Leg Quarters. The Spine, Wings and Giblets, get Roasted with Veg, 400°F for an hour, then made into Stock for Gravy and Dressing. I skim off the Fat and a couple cups of Stock. That gets seasoned well with Salt and a bit of Sugar, then the room temp Turkey Fat and Broth get Injected in the rest of the bird. I figure Turkey Fat and Broth beats other fats or injections, for a great Turkey 🦃 Flavor...JJ

Stuff I now make that had a lot of butter and you gotta believe I am a butter boy, I am starting to cut by 50% and using olive oil for the lost butter. And in most things its actually better that way. The butter adds flavor, but I still taste it and it has 1/2 the fat. Plus it cancels out!
" A large analysis of 42 studies with more than 800,000 participants found that olive oil was the only source of monounsaturated fat that seemed to reduce heart disease risk ( 4 ). Research has also shown that one of olive oil's heart-healthy effects is an increase in HDL cholesterol. "
I have used it, but I am a bit different about injecting, I punch a lot of holes with a little injection, I don't like injection pooling in the meat. Besides the butter hits that cold turkey and clots up anyway...LOL
I have really seen no troubles.
My suggestion is, its a good excuse for you to smoke a chicken and try it ahead of time. Whats wrong with you, missing that idea. LOL

Reactions: bauchjw
I do a couple turkeys for thanksgiving and I used to inject them with butter but we now have some dairy allergies. Is there something else I can use to inject with? does olive oil or another type of fat replace the moisture in the turkey that butter adds? or should I just not do any of that?

Thank you
Hi there and welcome!

Margarine my friend. Check the ingredients just to be sure but it should be all oil and no dairy in it :)

Good old American, darling of the Competition Q Circuit... SQUEEZE PARKAY! Another option, Butter Flavored Oils...JJ

626258b1-225b-48f5-a327-703dc57cd2bb.c2ba6f21e4359703e5d4e62805e72d4e (1).jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky